Board of Trustees approves six new majors, two Resolution of Appreciation

Jocy Holtsberry

Chair John Riley (center left) and President Todd Diacon (center right) preside over The Kent State Board of Trustees meeting March 9, 2023.

Jocy Holtsberry, Reporter

The Kent State Board of Trustees unanimously approved the establishment of five new majors in the College of Aeronautics and Engineering, one new major in the College of Arts and Sciences, along with approval of $21.39 million in university construction projects at their meeting Thursday. 

Trustee Pamela Bobst presented a report from the Academic Excellence and Student Success Committee. The committee recommended the establishment of six majors. 

The aeronautics major will be split into five concentrated majors: aeronautical studies, air traffic and airspace management, aviation management, professional pilot and unmanned aircraft systems, flight operations, drones. 

The College of Arts and Sciences gained a new biochemistry major. The new major will also boost the biochemistry concentration found in the department of chemistry. 

Trustee Stephen Perry, chairman of the Finance and Administration Committee, presented the $21.39 million construction recommendations. The committee proposed construction of the student center, recreation ice arena, university airport and Tri-Towers dorm. Construction to the student center, airport and Tri-Towers dorm will provide necessary repairs. Construction to the recreation ice arena will renovate the space into a practice facility for the marching band. 

Aside from approving recommendations, two trustees were given Resolutions of Appreciation as their terms are coming to an end. 

Haley Crews received a Resolution of Appreciation for serving as the Undergraduate Student Trustee. 

Undergraduate Trustee Haley Dees presented Crew’s Resolution of Appreciation.

“Trustee Crews is respected by board colleges as a highly motivated insightful leader who participates effectively in all aspects,” Dees said. 

Crews said she is grateful for her time as a trustee.

“I’m thankful to have had the opportunity to represent my graduate students at this level, and to serve Kent State University in this meaningful way,” Crews said. “As someone who is passionate about the experience and access to higher education, it has been such an honor to help ensure that the next generation of students have the same transformational experience I’ve had as a student.”

Crews’ trusteeship expires in May as she graduates with her masters in sociology.

Trustee Perry received a Resolution of Appreciation as his nine-year term as trustee ends in May. 

The board of trustees appointed Perry as a trustee in 2014. During his term, Perry served as the Chair of the Finance and Administration committee. 

Trustee Robin Kilbride presented Perry’s Resolution of Appreciation. 

“Trustee Perry has given superb service as a board officer who had a very long list of committees and this resolution and has been a leading voice on the board for the alignment of the university’s strategic priorities and its resources,” Kilbride said. “Trustee Perry long will be remembered for his relentless focus on student success.”

President Todd Diacon added onto the resolution with praise for Perry.

“Steve Perry has an unparalleled ability to offer really helpful advice in the most positive way that in less capable hands would be seen as criticism,” Diacon said.

Jocy Holtsberry is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].