The Construction Management Student Organization celebrates Women in Construction Week

Participants at Women in Construction Week.

Courtesy of the Construction Management Student Organization

Kayla Gleason, Reporter

The U.S. construction industry is largely male dominated, with women making up 10.9% of workers, but a group on campus is taking action to reduce the stereotypes surrounding women in construction.

Last week, the Construction Management Student Organization hosted nine events for Women in Construction Week. The purpose of this nationally celebrated week is to recognize and raise awareness of women in the construction industry.

“It can sometimes be intimidating going into a male-dominated field,” said Gina Carnovale, a sophomore construction management major on the board of the organization. “This week was to empower each other and inspire each other.”

The events covered topics ranging from female workwear to mental health in the workforce and aimed to inspire younger women interested in construction management.

“We were able to reach out to a lot of industry professionals and get them to come in and speak to the younger generation of females entering the industry,” said Alison Ritvo, a junior construction management major on the board.

Courtesy of the Construction Management Student Organization.

While one of the main goals of Women in Construction Week was to connect with aspiring construction management majors, the week also honored current and past female construction workers.

“The goal of this week was to shed light on not only our alumni but all the women that have passed through either our program or in the construction industry in general,” Ritvo said.

Freshman construction management major Carmela McNall said the hardships women have faced in the industry do not go unnoticed.

“My classes all have like five women and two guys,” she said. “People in my grade have a lot of support, but a lot of the people ahead of me did not. That’s where I get my support from, from the people who didn’t have the support going into it.”

McNall also appreciates the events planned by the Construction Management Student Organization.

“They have really important topics,” she said. “It gives other women who are going into construction as a career a great opportunity to kind of get some insight from other women who are already in the business and have been in the business for years.”

Women entering the construction industry were encouraged by this week to not be hesitant about joining a male-dominated field.

“If you’re passionate about it, it does not matter what anybody else thinks,” McNall said.

Kayla Gleason is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].