Kent State Farmers’ Market provides “the freshness aspect”

Malina Andamasaris

Members of the Kent community check out vendors and their tables at the Kent State Farmers’ Market March 21, 2023.

Malina Andamasaris, Reporter

The Kent State Farmers’ Market allows customers to learn about the market, talk to different vendors and purchase fresh produce.

Kent State University partnered with the Haymaker Famers’ Market over the last year to make fresh produce and unique products available for students, faculty and the community to attend on campus.

This month’s market was March 21 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Design Innovation Hub. The next farmers’ market will be April 25 from 4 to 7 p.m. on the Kent Student Center student green.

“Haymaker Farmers’ Market allows fresh produce to be sold, eggs that are less than a week old, vegetables that were picked that morning, whereas produce in grocery stores can degrade over time,” said J. Andrew Rome, director of Haymaker Farmers’ Market.

There were about fifteen to twenty vendors at the Kent State Farmers’ Market including Bloom Natural Nourishment, ShadyStone concrete pots and vessels, Mamalagels Bagels and Smyrna Mediterranean Morsels.

Some items that were for sale were plants, baked goods, pottery crafts, sauces and more.

There were multiple payment methods accepted such as Flashcard, credit and debit cards, Venmo, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program food assistance benefits, Produce Perks food assistance, Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer and the Women, Infants and Children Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program, as stated on the recreation and wellness services’ website.

Bloom Natural Nourishment has a sign at the farmers’ market that describes the gluten-free plant-based goodies. (Malina Andamasaris)

The farmers’ market supplies fresh produce which can benefit customers in a healthy and positive way, said Rome.

“Shelf life and quality don’t always go together,” Rome said. “The freshness aspect is definitely one thing that makes it healthier.”

Kent State gives students the opportunity to learn more about small business owners and the benefits of certain products that are not normally available anywhere else.

“I think it is really important for students to be aware of activities that are going on outside of class and connect with one another,” said Chanin Hale, owner of Bloom Natural Nourishment.

Bloom Natural Nourishment is a gluten-free, plant-based business that sells different types of sweets such as buckeye donuts, birthday cake pops and brownies.

“One thing that I strive to do in my business makes it simple,” Hale said. “Make it easy for people to know exactly what they are buying, as well as seeing the face of the person you are buying the products from and knowing where your money is going.”

Haymaker Farmers’ Market is open year-round, from December to March at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Kent on N. Mantua St. from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday. Then, from April to November, the farmers’ market is in Downtown Kent at Franklin Ave. between Main St. and Summit St. under the Haymaker overpass.

Malina Andamasaris is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].