‘The atmosphere is great’: Kent State parties into top 10 party school in Ohio

Annemarie Karabinus

The line went around the corner to get in to Barflyy in downtown Kent during Fake Paddy’s 2023.

Chloe Cornely, Reporter

With rowdy music and the drinks flowing, hundreds of students grab their friends and head out to Kent State’s party scene every weekend.

Barstool and Niche released their lists of top party schools in Ohio earlier this year, putting Kent State at number seven. Some students were pleasantly surprised Kent State was included in the top 10.

Freshman business major Jaret Maciejowski said he understands why Kent State was ranked at number seven compared to bigger schools like Ohio University and The Ohio State University.

“I mean, I love going out in Kent, everyone looks forward to the weekends here,” Maciejowski said. “Personally, I love the bars. The atmosphere is great.”

In downtown Kent, most of the bars are located within walking distance of each other which gives students who are ages 21 and up a wide range of options.

Some students, including senior sport administration major Michael Lawrence, appreciate the accessibility of nightlife downtown.

“Compared to other Ohio schools everything is close to each other, and you can walk anywhere,” Lawrence said. “Most of the frats are all near each other too, which is something I really like about Kent.”

Lawrence also mentioned his love for the well-loved “darty,” a party that brings students together during the day.

Sophomore construction management major James Neville said he questions how Barstool and Niche rank universities.

“I want to know what goes into the ranking process,” Neville said. “Do they actually talk to students?”

Niche describes its ranking process as a combination of reviews and statistics.

“Top party colleges have a vibrant and diverse party scene – they offer fun options both on and off campus, and students rate their peers as being fun, friendly, and into partying,” Niche’s website reads.

Some students believe Kent State should be ranked higher than number seven.

“I feel like Kent should be in the top five,” sophomore education major Ryan Short said. “I think Kent has a great party scene. We have great bars, great parties and awesome people.”

Junior public health major Brooke Pember said she does not think of Kent as the number one party school in Ohio, but she also thinks Kent should be ranked higher than number seven.

“I think Kent is a party school but compared to Ohio State and OU we aren’t that big,” Pember said. “I do think we offer a better experience than some of the schools ranked above us.”

For students under the age of 21, Kent offers a range of party scenes.

Sophomore computer information systems major Grace Solarz agreed.

“I’m not much of a party person but, when I do go out I like to dress up in themes and dance with my friends at house parties,” Solarz said. “I normally like to chill in my dorm with my friends, listen to music and play games.”

Transfer students who have experienced the party scene at other schools also compare their past partying to Kent’s options. Sophomore accounting major and transfer student John Flowers spent a semester at Ohio University before coming to Kent State.

“The party scene at OU is a lot more intense than Kent State,” Flowers said. “There’s a lot more things to do around campus than just party, whereas OU is located in the middle of nowhere.”

Downtown Kent offers alternative options for students not looking to go to house parties or bars.

“There’s bowling alleys, restaurants and you can drive to nearby cities where there are other things to do,” Flowers said. “I think that you could compare us to any of the colleges ranked above us, but every college offers a different experience, and I like the experience here at Kent the best.”

Chloe Cornely is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].