Softball loses double-header for its fourth-straight loss

Kyle Kuchta, Reporter

Kent State’s softball team averaged a Mid-American Conference worst 3.4 runs per game going into the series.

Sunday, the Flashes scored just four total runs in two games against Robert Morris University, losing both games.

KSU entered the series losing back-to-back games to Central Michigan.

After losing both games to Robert Morris, Kent State’s record fell to 8-21 overall and 3-4 in the MAC.

The series against RMU was scheduled to be a three-game series, but the first game of the series on Saturday was canceled.

Robert Morris is now 12-15 overall and 2-2 in their conference.

The Flashes have played 10 games on the road and lost four-straight games, making Kent State 4-12 on the road.

Game one

Kent State opened up the double-header with a 4-1 loss.

RMU scored four runs on eight hits; KSU put together seven hits but scored just one run.

Robert Morris struck first in the second inning. Junior outfielder Kinsey Ventura started the inning with a double to left center. Junior outfielder Julia Ehrman was able to reach safely on an error allowing Ventura to score the first run of the ballgame.

Sophomore infielder Anna Resnik singled to center, scoring Ehrman before Kent State could get out of the inning down 2-0.

Robert Morris added another run in the bottom of the fourth inning off a sacrifice fly from Resnik, making the score 3-0.

Both teams went scoreless in the fifth. The Flashes scored their first run of the game in the top of the sixth after junior outfielder Jade Ramer  scored on a throwing error.

RMU answered back in the bottom half of the sixth with an RBI-single, with Resnik pushing the Colonials’ lead to 4-1. KSU couldn’t score in the seventh, ending the game.

Game two 

Kent State dropped the second game of the double-header in a 5-3 loss to Robert Morris.

Kent State collected five hits on three runs; RMU put together five runs on seven hits with each team having two errors.

The Colonials struck first again in the opening frame off a triple by junior infielder Charlotte Grover, scoring Resnik.

KSU took its only lead of the series in the top of the third, bringing two runs across off a single from redshirt senior infielder Alexandria Whitmore. Whitmore scored infielder Julia Mazanec. Freshman catcher Bri Despines stole home to put the Flashes ahead.

The score remained 2-1 until the bottom of the sixth when RMU scored four runs in the inning.

Junior outfielder Catalina Saxen tied the game on a single to center. Sophomore catcher Logan Black broke the tie on a RBI-single up the middle. Erhman followed up on a two-run RBI-single down the left field line, making the score 5-2 after six innings of play.

Despines reached base for KSU on a double to right and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Whitmore reached base on an error as Despines  scored to cut the lead to 5-3.

Back Home

Kent State returns for its first home game at the new Divine Diamond, facing Northern Illinois for a three-game conference series.

NIU is coming off of two-straight losses and are 15-16 overall with a 6-5 record in the conference.

First pitch is Friday at 3 p.m.

Kyle Kuchta is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].