Softball loses two of three against Ohio

Kyle Kuchta, Reporter

Kent State softball’s team gave up 22 runs in the three-game series against Ohio, losing two of three. 

Ohio scored twice as many runs as Kent State (11). 

Kent State’s record is now 10-25 overall and 5-8 in conference play, but moved up to ninth place in the Mid-American Conference. 

Ohio is now 23-17 overall and are now 13-5 in the conference, standing alone in first place.

KSU is now 5-14 when playing on the road this season. 

Game one

The series opener on Tuesday with a 3-2 loss against the Bobcats. 

Redshirt senior Anilese Kelly earned the start, pitching for the Flashes. Kelly had back-to-back complete games going into the contest. 

Kelly, in six innings of work, allowed one earned run on eight hits with two strikeouts. Her record fell to 3-10.

The Flashes scored first in the top of the second inning after freshman catcher Bekah Zachrich doubled down the left field line to go up 1-0. Sophomore utility player Delaney Robeson added another run for Kent State on a sacrifice fly in the top of the third inning. 

Ohio tied the game in the fifth inning. The Bobcats’ first run was scored after an error by redshirt senior Alexandria Whitmore brought the first runner in. Then an RBI-bunt brought home the tying run for OU.

Ohio took the lead in the sixth off an RBI-double down the right field line, which would go on to be the winning run. 

Kelly pitched another complete game on 87 pitches. Kent State had six hits on the day.

Game two

KSU dropped game two  in a 16-2 blowout loss. Ohio put together 12 hits as a team in game one of the double-header. This was KSU’s biggest loss of the season. 

OU scored 13 runs on eight hits in just the first inning. Eight different players had an RBI in the inning. 

Kent State scored its only two runs of the game in the top of the fifth. 

Junior catcher Jalynn Young brought in the first run on a sacrifice fly to center field. KSU scored the second run on a fielding error from Ohio. Freshman outfielder Sydney Shammo scored on the play. 

Freshman pitcher Macy Irelan got the call for the Flashes, going four innings pitched while allowing nine hits on eight earned runs. She struck out five on 28 pitches. 

Freshman pitcher Carley Penner finished out the game, allowing three hits on six earned runs. As a team KSU had just two hits.

Game three

The Flashes finished the series with a win in game two of the double header in a 9-3 victory. 

The win ended OU’s home win streak of five games. Kent State had a season-high 15 hits in the game. 

Ohio took the lead first in the bottom of the first with a RBI-triple. Kent State tied the game in the next half inning off a RBI-single from senior infielder Julia Mazanec. 

OU regained the lead in the bottom half of the second off a RBI-single. Robeson tied the game for KSU with an RBI-double to right center, scoring Whitmore in the top of the third.

Yet again, Ohio retook the lead in the bottom of the third with a sacrifice fly.

Kent State scored four runs in the top of the fourth to take a 6-3 lead. Whitmore tied the game with a single and then three-run double from Robeson gave the Flashes the lead.

The Flashes held off OU in scoring the rest of the game. Junior outfielder Jade Ramer tacked on another run on a passed ball, pushing the lead to 7-3 in the top of the fifth.

Kent State added two more runs in the top of the seventh inning off a two-run RBI-triple by Whitmore. Irelan closed out the inning to secure the win. 

Kelly pitched for the second time in the series, this time receiving a win.  Her record improved to 4-10. 

Robeson finished this game leading the team in RBI’s with four. Mazanec and freshman infielder Reagan Schultz both led the teams in hits with three each. 

Back home

Kent State opens a three game series on Friday with Toledo to continue conference play.

The Flashes get to play at Kent State for the first time this season as the new Devine Diamond  is complete and ready for play.

First pitch is at 3 p.m.

Toledo sits right above KSU at eighth place in the MAC standings. 

Kyle Kuchta is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].