Fresh Check Day focuses on mental health, suicide prevention

Students+visit+various+mental+health+related+booths+at+Fresh+Check+Day+April+20%2C2023.+

Malina Andamasaris

Students visit various mental health related booths at Fresh Check Day April 20,2023.

Malina Andamasaris, Reporter

Fresh Check Day is an event for students to come together while encouraging mental health awareness and suicide prevention.

This event is a nationwide one that comes from the Jordan Porco Foundation, a national foundation created by two parents who had lost their son to suicide his freshman year of college. This national event to honor Jordan and make other college students aware of the resources available to them, as well as signs of suicide thoughts.

The Kent State of Well-being put on their second Fresh Check Day event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 20, 2023 in the Design Innovation Hub. Their first time hosting this event was last fall.

At the event there were eight booths, and it was open to students, staff and community members.

“The booths fall under four topics such as positive coping and life skills, populations and stigma reduction, education on related mental health issues and suicide prevention,” said Sierra Baker, coordinator of Student Health and Well-being.

Participants were able to receive a a card that could be be punched at each booth they attended. Once the participant went to five booths, they were eligible to win a prize.

One of the main points of the event was a booth called Nine out of Ten, Baker said.

“This is a required booth that represents how one in 10 college students contemplate suicide which means there is nine other people who could step in there, [who] recognize warning signs of suicide, who might know resources on campus,” she said.

Kent State Well-being also partnered with campus resources such as Counseling and Psychological Services and the Center for Public Health and Policy. They attended this event to create awareness of what they offer if a student ever needs assistance. They also had information for students about what events are coming up.

“Another takeaway we want students to leave this event with is that mental health is a real thing and our goal is to destigmatize it and show students it is okay to ask for help,” Baker said.

At the end of the event there was a survey for students regarding their experience.

Last fall, 45 students participated within the evaluation which showed an increase of awareness for resources on campus, warning signs of suicide and people feeling more comfortable in their skills to talk about mental health, said Baker.

After the surveys were conducted last year, it had shown that 65.63% of students were more aware of suicide warning signs and 75% were much more aware of mental health resources after attending the Fresh Check Day event.

“This event is a great way for us students to come together and become more aware of the mental health resources on campus and what to do if one of your peers is struggling,” said sophomore marketing major Chloe Schultz.

Malina Andamasaris is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]