Baseball salvages weekend series, stealing final game

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

Kent State baseball falls to 12-11 on the road season, losing two of three games in its weekend series against Miami.

After Friday’s contest in Oxford was postponed due to rain, the Flashes played a double-header Saturday and wrapped up the series with an afternoon game Sunday.

KSU lost both games Saturday, winning the final game in extra innings.

The Flashes fall to 27-12 on the season and are tied for first in the Mid-American Conference with two other teams (Ball State and Central Michigan) at 13-5.

The RedHawks improve to 13-29 overall and are in fifth place in the conference at 9-12.

Saturday

In game one, Miami jumped out to an early lead, scoring six runs in the first three innings en route to a 12-3 victory.

After scoring three runs in the fourth and fifth innings, the Flashes cut the deficit to 6-3, but the offense recorded only one hit for the remainder of the game.

Junior first baseman Aidan Longwell led KSU, going 2-for-3 and tallying one RBI.

Redshirt senior pitcher Ben Cruikshank (5-1) recorded his first loss after giving up a season-high six runs – only three earned.

Junior pitcher Benny Roebuck pitched 2.1 innings in relief and tied a season-high three earned runs.

Miami starting pitcher Connor Oliver tallied a season-high seven innings, striking out seven Flashes.

In game two of the doubleheader, the RedHawks rallied with a run in both the bottom of the ninth and tenth inning to win in extra innings 5-4.

After six innings, the Flashes led 4-1 as junior infielder Michael McNamara connected on his second two-homerun game of the week.

During that same time, senior catcher Justin Miknis recorded an RBI single, and in the sixth inning, he connected on his sixth homer of the season.

Junior pitcher Joe Whitman (5-1) started his tenth game of the season, going 5.2 innings, allowing two earned runs and striking out eight batters.

Graduate student pitcher Mitchell Scott entered the ninth inning for Kent State, not allowing a run in over 20 innings.

After striking out the first batter, Scott gave up his first homer of the season, tying the game at four.

In the top of the tenth inning, KSU was retired in order.

With one out in the bottom of the tenth inning, Scott allowed his second home run as the RedHawks came from behind to sweep the doubleheader.

Sunday

After falling behind 6-2, the Flashes chipped away at the Miami lead, stealing the final game of the series 9-8.

The RedHawks led the game 6-2 after three innings, and after a pair of runners scored on passed balls and a Longwell sacrifice fly, the score was 6-5.

Miami added a run in the fifth inning after hitting its fourth homer of the game.

The Flashes, however, scored three runs in the seventh inning after a pair of RBI singles by Miknis and graduate student outfielder Collin Mathews, and McNamara drawing a bases-loaded walk.

In the bottom of the eighth, the RedHawks led off the inning with a triple, driving in the tying run two batters later on a single to center field.

Mathews led off the top of the ninth inning with his seventh home run of the season.

After consecutive outs, the Flashes connected on back-to-back singles, though junior infielder Kyle Jackson lined out to the second basemen ending the inning.

Freshman pitcher Jordan Kolenda pitched the final 2.1 innings of the game as he recorded his second win of the season.

Sophomore pitcher Eric Chalus started the game for the Flashes, going 4.2 innings, striking out four batters and allowing a season-high seven earned runs.

Back at home

On Tuesday, Kent State returns to Schoonover Stadium, taking on Ohio State (20-20).

The Buckeyes defeated KSU 7-6 in Columbus April 4.

The Flashes are 15-1 at home as OSU enters the contest on a three-game losing streak and is 6-10 on the road.

First pitch is at 6 p.m.

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].