Second inning too much for Buckeyes as baseball notches 16th home win

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

Kent State’s baseball team lost to Ohio State 7-6 on April 4 after the Buckeyes connected on a two-run home run in the seventh inning to take the lead. 

Wednesday, at Schoonover Stadium, the Flashes used a six-run second inning en route to a 10-5 win. 

KSU is now 16-1 at home – which is the best in the Mid-American Conference. Kent State (28-12) is tied with three other teams: Central Michigan, Ball State, and Ohio. Each has a 13-5 conference record. 

OSU falls to 20-21, extending its losing streak to four games. 

After two Buckeyes scored in the first inning, the Flashes sent 11 batters to the plate in the second inning. 

KSU took advantage of three walks and a balk in the inning while recording three hits. Graduate student outfielder Collin Mathews tied the game 2-2 after an RBI single to left field. 

Junior infielder Michael McNamara, who has recorded eight RBIs in his last four games, brought in two more runs on a single, giving the Flashes a 6-2 lead. 

The Buckeyes added two runs in the fourth inning on a single, making the score 6-4. 

In the eighth inning, three more Flashes came around to score, extending their lead to 10-5. Freshman infielder Kolton Schaller scored on an error by the OSU pitcher, and sophomore outfielder Jake Casey (2 for 3) recorded his third RBI on a single he would later come around to score on a passed ball. 

Sophomore pitcher Peyton Cariaco started his second game of the season, going two innings and giving two runs on three hits. 

KSU used six pitchers in relief as junior pitcher Benny Roebuck earned his fifth win of the season, pitching 1.2 scoreless innings. Kent State closer Mitchell Scott stranded two Buckeyes after ending the inning with a strikeout looking. 

Scott recorded three more strikeouts in the ninth innings, earning his tenth save.

On the season, Scott has tailed 49 strikeouts over 33 innings, allowing four runs. 

Up next

The Flashes will remain at home for their three-game weekend series against Ohio University. 

The Bobcats (16-20) are 13-5 in the conference and 7-14 on the road this season. OU’s .291 team batting average is third in the MAC – KSU is first at .302. 

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]