Sister Circle: A guaranteed community for women

Irene Bowser, Reporter

Aisha Ahammed, a freshman computer science major, discovered comfort in a new space on campus April 21. She said while she was in the lobby of the Student Center, members of Sister Circle invited her to come to participate in their Empowerment Dinner that evening.

Ahammed’s first time attending an event for the group left her pleased and excited to return in future semesters.

“They are so inclusive, but at first I was scared,” Ahammed said. “I have never found a group like this and didn’t know it was a thing, I wish I could have told my sister – I will be returning.”

Sister Circle hosted its final meeting of the semester, the Empowerment Dinner, at the end of its annual Empowerment Week. Sister Circle members wore pink and red dresses to the pink-decorated room, ate a warm dinner and participated in activities for affirmation and gratitude. After beginning the night with a prayer, the e-board and committee chairs organized activities for the members at the dinner tables.

First, each table passed around cards with other members’ names and wrote positive affirmations or compliments for the person on the card.

Sister Circle President Alandia Strong said the purpose was to “affirm the other girls in the room.”

Members encouraged one another to participate and even read personal affirmations aloud. The e-board and committee members hold themselves accountable to be present and help the members transition into future e-board roles.

“That is one thing we do that has impacted a lot of people,” Strong said.

Kamariah Miller, co-director of programming, said she feels empowered attending Sister Circle meetings. She said that Monday’s ‘Sister Talks’ welcomes an open discussion to be vulnerable with one another.

Jade Northover, co-director of programming, described her experience as “bonding professionally and on a friendship level to work together as women.”

“Coming into Sister Circle, you see all different types of people,” A’kyra Holley, sophomore peace and conflicts major, said. “It’s imperative to show yourself and be authentic. We don’t have a choice.”

After finishing dinner, senior members gave speeches to say goodbye and thank Sister Circle for their support through the years. They also recognized their accomplishments of being awarded the Ebony Achievement Organization of the Year award and the Center for Student Involvement Organization Excellence award.

“We are not an organization that strives for recognition, but it feels good to be recognized,” Strong said.

The evening concluded with hugs, flowers and tears as they celebrated their growth, friendships and achievements.

Jazmin Harvey, a sophomore hospitality and event management major, said that “In Sister Circle, you are guaranteed access, you are guaranteed a community.”

Irene Bowser is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]