Man pleads guilty for failure to stop in crash that killed a Kent student

Courtesy of the Ohio State Highway Patrol

A photo from the scene of a fatal crash that killed Kent State student Colin Pho on Summit Street near Dix Stadium. It shows a broken car mirror and part of the scooter Pho was riding when he was struck from behind August 22 around 9 p.m.

Erin Sullivan, Reporter

Timothy Michael Brind Jr. of Atwater pleaded guilty to failure to stop in a 2022 accident that killed Kent State student Colin Pho.

Brind was charged with the third-degree felony before the Portage County Court of Common Pleas Wednesday.

Court documents indicate that Brind faces a three-year prison sentence, a 10 thousand-dollar fine and a license suspension.

In Aug. 2022, Colin Pho was struck by Brind’s vehicle while traveling on an electric scooter eastbound in the right lane on Summit Street, according to the Ravenna Post of the Ohio Highway Patrol.

Pho was a computer science student at Kent State, and was traveling home from his part-time job at Pho King, a local Vietnamese restaurant.

According to the report, Pho was taken to UH Portage Medical Center following the crash before being life-flighted to UH Cleveland Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Pho’s parents, Jonathan and Debra Pho, said they will be planting a tree and placing a bench at Kent’s Ashtabula campus in his memory.

Brind awaits sentencing pending an investigation by the court’s adult probation department.

Erin Sullivan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].