New Kent State art exhibit features work from visiting and resident artists

Aden Graves

Bloom X by Aya Oki.

Aden Graves, Reporter

The School of Art Collection and Galleries held a reception Friday celebrating the opening of the Kent Blossom Art Intensives Exhibition, a new art exhibit displayed in the Center for the Visual Arts Gallery.

Arranged in the gallery are works created by visiting artists and resident faculty, including paintings, works of ceramics, glass and textiles.

The new exhibit will be on display in the gallery May 17 through June 9.

Established in 1968, the KBAI program is focused on creating a visual art experience for students by offering them the opportunity to work with professional artists from across the country in summer intensives.

“The idea is that when people come to see the lectures or when students who are in the intensives come to the CVA Gallery, they see examples of what visiting artists or resident artists have made,” said Anderson Turner, director of the school of art collection and galleries. “Classes have come and looked at each piece to see the special techniques or concepts used, so that’s what it’s supposed to embody in this event.”

Turner said resident artists, who are usually faculty members, and visiting artists are a part of the program, and students get hands-on experience to enhance their own work.

“The inspiration and message is really about teaching and about getting up close and personal with artists, so it’s really an artist’s residency,” Turner said. “We’ve brought these people from all over the country. This is a fairly elaborate show, so we’re shipping in work from New York, […] LA, Montana and Chicago. It’s really lovely, focused and specific to what workshops we’re running right now.”

Flora Blaze by Melissa Leandro. (Aden Graves)

One of the pieces displayed in the gallery, titled Flora Blaze, created by Melissa Leandro of Florida, was constructed with Jacquard woven cloth, blue photographic prints called cyanotypes, stitching, plastic and foil.

Leandro uses her cultural identity and family memories to create her topographical textile works that include images she draws and collects.

“The work is really amazing,” said Janice Lessman-Moss, a retired Kent State professor who taught textile arts for 40 years. “They have work here from resident faculty, and because they didn’t have to deliver it very far, they were able to put some amazing work in, and I’m very impressed with my former colleagues’ work.”

She said seeing the works up close and getting the story behind the art are what make it all come to life.

Lessman-Moss spoke about the importance of art and the power of imagination.

“It shows you something unique in the world that you’re not seeing anywhere,” she said. “This is emanating from somebody’s imagination and the skill of their craft knowledge, and I think that’s wonderful. It enlightens people and it shows them that there is this potential to imagine and be hopeful.”

Aden Graves is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]