Board of Trustees Finance and Administration Committee to propose investments at Kent State Airport, new capital projects

Grace Springer, Editor-in-Chief

The Board of Trustees Finance and Administration Committee agreed to recommend investing in an airport runway project and new training aircraft for aeronautics students at its committee meeting Wednesday. The proposals will be voted on by the full board at its next business meeting.

Mark Polatajko, senior vice president for finance and administration, said during the meeting that the current runway pavement and safety areas are in need of updating to meet Federal Aviation Administration standards. The rehabilitation and reconstruction project is projected to cost $4.967 million.

“The construction effort is slated to start early August 2023 and minimize the impact on the aeronautics flight program,” Polatajko said. “The airport runway will be closed during the entire construction duration which is expected to take approximately six weeks.”

Due to the short six-week construction period, the board will also vote on a $5.2 million maximum contingency budget so the project can stay on schedule should problems arise. The project will be partially funded by an awarded $4.6 million in Federal Aviation Administration and State of Ohio Department of Transportation grants. The remainder will be funded by university local funds, according to Polatajko.

The committee will also recommend the investment into six new Cessna 172S training fleet aircraft over the next three years. Polatajko said enrollment in the flight program has increased by 85% in the last five years.

“Enrollment in our College of Aeronautics and Engineering flight program continues to grow at a rapid pace,” he said. “Maintaining a state-of-the-art fleet of training aircraft is a strategic enrollment management priority.”

Once the aircraft are ordered, they will arrive within two years. The university plans to secure a capital lease to finance the aircraft over 10 years. They will be paid for through the sale of old aircraft and course fees in classes that utilize the planes.

Polatajko also presented information on new capital projects. The first is a renovation and modernization of the School of Peace and Conflict Studies, including faculty offices, meeting rooms and new modern technology. The renovations will cost approximately $1.6 million to be covered by local funds.

The next capital project is the repair and replacement of Trumbull Campus Theatre Library/Theatre Building’s roof to cost around $1.25 million, funded by available state capital and local improvement funds.

The final project to be proposed is an HVAC upgrade to Founder’s Hall at the Tuscarawas Campus.

“This building is not energy efficient and if this project is approved the replacement units will meet the university’s energy and sustainability requirements and provide better environmental control for the classrooms and offices that they service,” Polatajko said.

Construction is set to begin winter 2023 and be completed by fall 2024 under a budget of $1 million funded by state capital and local funds.

The committee will also recommend amendments to the solar array project that is already underway as well as entering into a three-year contract with Microsoft 365 and a five-year agreement with Medical Mutual of Ohio for medical benefit administrative services for university employees and independents.

The committee plans to discuss the budget for fiscal year 2024 at the next board meeting. A full budget is expected to be adopted by the board at its September meeting.

All items discussed at Wednesday’s meeting will be recommended to be voted on at the full board meeting June 28 in Moulton Hall. The Finance and Administration Committee plans to meet again before the board meeting earlier that morning.

Grace Springer is editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected].