Emergency contraception: What students should know about ‘the morning after pill’

Erin Sullivan, Reporter

Editor’s note: As of December 2022, the FDA approved a label correction to reflect the accurate mechanism of action for Plan B One-Step, saying the pill will not prevent or interfere with the implantation of a fertilized egg. A correction was made in this article to reflect this development.

Starting in the fall 2023 semester, a generic form of emergency contraception will be available for purchase at Eastway Market, due to an initiative of Kent Students for a Democratic Society (SDS). 

The pill will be provided by the DeWeese Health Center and will only cost $15, a price significantly cheaper than Plan B, which is $49 at CVS Pharmacy. 

Students who are not familiar with emergency contraception may wonder what exactly the pill does and how to properly take it. 

The morning-after pill, commonly known as Plan B, prevents pregnancy by delaying ovulation, the release of an egg from an ovary during the menstrual cycle. 

This is done by the release of progesterone, a hormone that “tricks” the body into thinking it’s already pregnant. This ultimately prevents the fertilization of an egg if the pill is taken within 72 hours after intercourse. 

Although the approach to emergency contraception seems simple, there is a process for this form of contraception to be effective. So what do students need to know? 

Dr. Andrea Jones who specializes in obstetrics and gynecology answered frequent questions people may have about emergency contraception. 

When should someone take an emergency contraception pill? 

Emergency contraception is meant to be used after unprotected intercourse. For instance, if a condom breaks during intercourse. 

Those who use condoms as their primary source of birth control would then use an emergency contraception pill as a backup form of contraception, according to Jones. 

“Emergency contraception, and I cannot stress this enough, is only for an emergency,” Jones said.

How does “the pill” work? 

The traditional form of Plan B is just progesterone, very much similar to the progesterone our bodies produce. 

According to Jones, progesterone is a pregnancy hormone, so it is possible to trick the body into thinking it’s already pregnant with progesterone – this would stop the body from ovulating. 

“An individual who ovulates and gets periods will secrete a hormone to tell the ovaries ‘hey I need you to make an egg because your body needs to get pregnant’ every month,” Jones said. “So that tells the ovary to make the egg and the egg gets released and that is ovulation… this typically occurs on days 14 to 16 during someone’s cycle.”

If someone who has already ovulated takes emergency contraception can it still prevent pregnancy? 

It’s not impossible. 

Progesterone can thicken cervical mucus which can make it more difficult for sperm to travel and fertilize an egg.  

Taking emergency contraception can also impact the lining of the uterus so a pregnancy may not want to implant there, according to Jones. 

Does emergency contraception end an existing pregnancy? 

No, emergency contraception is not abortifacient. The progesterone hormone released will also not harm an existing pregnancy. 

“Emergency contraception does not abort a pregnancy that’s already implanted in the uterus,” said Jones. “As a matter of fact, the evidence that we do have shows that it does not harm a pregnancy that is already implanted in the uterus.”

What are common side effects someone can experience after taking emergency contraception? 

The most common side effect is nausea. This occurs due to a larger dose of progesterone than someone’s body is used to. 

People can also experience an upset stomach and irregular vaginal bleeding. 

Does someone’s weight impact the effectiveness of the emergency contraception pill? 

It may take a higher dosage for the medication to spread throughout someone with a heavier weight’s bloodstream. 

Someone with a larger surface area may require a stronger dose of pills to work effectively, according to Jones. 

Erin Sullivan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].