Feeling lonely? You’re not alone

Erin+Sullivan%2C+a+journalism+major+now+in+her+fifth+year+at+Kent+State%2C+stands+in+front+of+the+sign+to+her+freshman+year+dorm+building+in+2019.+
Erin Sullivan
Erin Sullivan, a journalism major now in her fifth year at Kent State, stands in front of the sign to her freshman year dorm building in 2019.

Kent State was not a popular choice at Mother McAuley Liberal Arts High School in Chicago, Illinois.

this time, I grew homesick and missed my high school friends.

In fact, if you asked my former classmates about Kent State, they would likely say they’ve never heard of it.

Little did I know that the majority of my peers were going through the same exact situation. The more people I talked to, the more stories I heard about others struggling to make friends.

At the time, attending an out-of-state college seemed easy. I didn’t worry because social media made it seem like everyone made friends so quickly when they got to college.

It made me realize that I was not alone and that this was common for first year college students.

I was outgoing and excited to make friends, so I thought I wouldn’t have any trouble.

Get outside, get involved

I had a solid plan, which included joining a sorority and finding the perfect group of friends. I imagined everything, from eating at the dining hall together to celebrating my first homecoming surrounded by new friends.

Luckily, Kent State provides so many opportunities for students to get out of their dorm rooms and meet others. I started to attend events that pertained to my interests, even if that meant going alone.

When I first arrived in Kent, I remember being so excited after meeting so many new people and learning about everything Kent State had to offer. Unfortunately, that excitement went away as the semester went by, and I was left feeling more alone than I anticipated.

I remember feeling extremely frustrated because I thought I was doing everything right. I joined a sorority, got along with my roommate and invited my hallmates to go to events with me. Although I had people around me to keep me company, I couldn’t help but feel alone.

As my first semester of college continued, I was not making the friends I always dreamed about. During this time, I grew homesick and missed my high school friends. 

Get outside, get involved

Attending on-campus events allowed me to be surrounded by people, which was a lot better than spending the night alone in my dorm. 

I was interested in fitness, so I attended Group X fitness classes at the Rec Center. All classes are free for students and include a variety of fitness activities such as yoga, barre and pilates. 

I also joined a student organization that was aimed towards my major, journalism. Kent State has more than 400 clubs and organizations to choose from. Whether you enjoy volunteering, politics, religion, fashion or sports – there is something for everyone.

Step out of your comfort zone

Putting yourself out there is scary, but in the end it is worth it. 

After regularly attending an indoor cycling Group X class, my instructor invited me to join a Panhellenic Bible study group. 

I was hesitant at first, but I decided to go and I’m so glad I did. The group was made up of other women from different sororities at Kent, and each week they discussed ways to better themselves in their community. 

I never thought a Bible study group would make such an impact. I did not even consider myself very religious. 

It was so beneficial to meet with the group once a week to talk about my first year at college.

While attending my weekly meetings and Group X classes, I found I had an easier time doing things on my own. 

By the time my second semester rolled around, I started to become closer with some of my hallmates. I found the more time I spent with them, the more values and interests we shared. 

I started to invite them to attend Group X classes with me, and slowly but surely, we were going together every week. 

I no longer felt so alone because I surrounded myself with others every day. Although I did not make my group of friends right away, once I got involved, I became closer to the people around me.

I truly believe that when I started to enjoy my own company and stopped comparing my social life to others on social media is when I found my people. 

After four years of college, I’m still friends with my hallmates I met in my freshman year. I’ve had friendships come and go throughout my college years but I never strayed from my freshman year hallmates. 

It took time, but striving to have a genuine connection with my friends helped me in the end. 

Erin Sullivan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].