Mariah the Scientist to headline this year’s Homecoming concert

Courtesy of Kent State’s USG

Mariah the Scientist, an R&B and soul artist, will headline Kent State’s Undergraduate Student Government fall concert Sept. 23.

DJ Smillz, the university’s in-house DJ, will open the fall concert held in the Student Center Ballroom. Doors will open at 7 p.m.

Ticket are $20 and can be purchased online through the link in USG‘s Instagram bio. The concert is open to Kent State students only.

Mariah the Scientist is a singer-songwriter who has released the songs “Spread Thin” and “Always n Forever” featuring rapper Lil Baby, among others. She released her first album in 2019 and put out two singles, titled “Ain’t Even Friends” and “Rear View,” this year.

USG revealed the headliner at its Blastoff! after-party on Sunday on Risman Plaza.

After the announcement, students like junior fashion merchandising major Mia Barkley were excited to see Mariah the Scientist performing at the Homecoming concert.

“I love Mariah, especially her last EP that just came out,” Barkley said.

Students come together to see the announcement of “Mariah the Scientist” set to play at the Homecoming concert. (Adriana Gasiewski)

Barkley’s friend junior fashion merchandising major Torria Bell mentioned other songs she liked from Mariah’s album MASTER.

“Probably ‘In My Nightmares’ and ‘Note to You’ [are my favorites],” Bell said.

While sophomore fashion merchandising major Tyana Barton was purchasing tickets for the event, she shared her favorite Mariah the Scientist song.

“I would say ‘Reminders’ probably but her whole album is good,” Barton said.

Other students such as sophomore fashion merchandising major Ryan Gibson, who attend Blastoff with Barton, his friend, were happy with the news of an R&B artist performing.

“I’m excited because I like her and a bunch of other people in the genre like R&B,” Gibson said. “I already got tickets.” 

Adriana Gasiewski is a staff reporter. Contact her at [email protected]

Isabella Schreck, editor-in-chief, contributed to this report.