New football coach Burns names Purdue transfer as starting quarterback

Kent+States+football+team%2C+along+with+the+womens+lacrosse+and+soccer+programs%2C+competes+at+Dix+Stadium.+The+stadium+is+located+at+2213+Summit+St.+in+Kent.+
Abigail Griffith
Kent State’s football team, along with the women’s lacrosse and soccer programs, competes at Dix Stadium. The stadium is located at 2213 Summit St. in Kent.

Redshirt junior Michael Alaimo, a transfer from Purdue, earned the spot of starting quarterback on Kent State’s football, first-year head coach Kenni Burns announced in a press conference Sunday.

“He had a great fall camp, and he solidified himself as our starter,” Burns said.

Burns said sophomore Tommy Ulatowski, who appeared in two games for the Flashes last season, will be the backup.

Alaimo appeared in four games for the Boilermakers and threw for one touchdown in his three years at the university. The team won three of the games Alaimo appeared in.

Burns said the starting QB decision “literally came down to [Saturday’s] scrimmage.”

“Those guys battled,” he said. “We put them in different situations and Mike came out on top of that scrimmage. We are excited about him, so we’ll start putting him in positions to lead our offense and to get us ready for the season.”

Standout players

Burns said the team is “moving in the right direction as a football program.”

“The kids worked extremely hard, and we talked about how we wanted to be a tougher football team,” he said. “That was our whole mindset going into fall camp and I definitely believe we are.”

Burns listed many players that stood out during fall camp, starting with sophomore running back Gavin Garcia.

“He is a heck of a football player,” Burns said. “He is definitely one of our more dominant players on offense.”

Redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Jimto Obidegwu also had a great fall camp, according to Burns.

“He really solidified himself as one of the guys that will be starting up front in that left or right tackle spot,” he said.

On the defensive side of the ball, Burns has “been really impressed” with the defensive line throughout fall camp.

Burns highlighted senior CJ West as a player who is “taking charge” for the unit. He also mentioned sophomore Stephen Daley.

“[Daley] has such a bright future,” Burns said. “He got so much better from the start of spring ball until now – he’s a dominant player along with Oliver Billotte.”

Graduate students Khalib Johns (linebacker) and D.J. Miller Jr. (defensive back) were also noted as players that had good fall camps.

This season’s eight captains are: seniors Luke Floriea (wide receiver) and West and graduate students Capone Blue (cornerback), Xavier Williams (running back), Miller Jr., Matt Harmon (linebacker), Johns and Daley.

Looking ahead

Fall camp ended Tuesday, so the next test for the team will be week one of the 2023 season.

The Flashes’ first game is against the University of Central Florida at 7 p.m. Aug. 31 in Orlando. Burns noted the team suffered no season-ending injuries throughout the duration of fall camp.

“I am excited about the season,” Burns said. “These kids worked extremely hard, and I know they’re ready to hit someone that is not in the same jerseys they are in.”

John Hilber is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].