SRVSS celebrates 10th anniversary on Nov 3, providing safe spaces for students

Matthew Brown
The Williamson House is located at the corner of Main Street and Midway Drive on campus.

The Center for Sexual and Relationship Violence Support Services, which works to provide a support system for those affected by personal violence, will celebrate its tenth anniversary Nov. 3.  

The center, located in the Williamson House on campus, serves everyone, according to assistant director Yvette Roberts. 

“The main goal is to make sure the students are supported and that they feel supported,” Roberts said. “Going through personal violence situations is rough. It’s hard. So, when they walk into this space, I want them to know that I’m here to help you, and I really mean that. I’m going to support you from the beginning to the end.” 

The Williamson House is home to SRVSS and the Women’s Center.  SRVSS has a survivors’ night on Sept. 12, which includes support groups facilitated through White Hall Counseling Services and Safer Futures.  

The center has support groups, including ones for those healing from abuse and sexual assault, Roberts said.

“Everyone is welcome in this space, and you don’t have to go through a crisis situation just to come here and hang out,” she said. “You can come here and do your homework. You can come here to laugh and talk. Our door is always open, students stop in all the time just to vent about their classes.”

A main priority for the center is creating a safe environment for all students.  The Williamson House has an open door policy, with the goal of being a resource to survivors, or anyone in need, Roberts said. 

“Our director [Jennie O’Connell]  has been involved in helping survivors for many years,” Roberts said. “So, SRVSS was something that she helped create along with a coordinated community response team ten years ago.”

A sign on the door of the Williamson House welcomes visitors into the space. (Isabella Schreck)

This semester will be busy for SRVSS with events for Relationship Abuse Awareness Month in October. Information about the events will be posted on their social media pages

“One of our biggest events is Green Dot’s tie-dye event on September 28,” Roberts said. “It’s on a Thursday and will kick off Relationship Abuse Awareness Month.”

SRVSS spreads awareness with events including rock painting, a speakout, a name-burning ceremony and a signature event called ‘Take Back the Night,’ Roberts said. 

The center partners with Green Dot, which is a bystander approach program aimed at preventing personal violence. 

“We have discussions on Green Dot,” said Julius Payne, program coordinator. “We start bystander intervention initiative conversations, but also consent, healthy relationships, masculinity and self care.” 

SRVSS is still in the final stages of planning the anniversary, which will include a reception that will be open to the community, Roberts said.

“To celebrate, we’ve talked about giving a timeline of the history of the SRVSS houses and our strategic plan,  moving forward in the next ten years,” Roberts said. 

The SRVSS website features a “quick exit” button that is always in view on the website and will immediately exit the page when clicked on. 

“You will see a quick exit button just in case a person is looking [over your shoulder] and there’s an abuser who comes,” Roberts said. 

To contact SRVSS, visit their website, call them at (330) 672-8016) or stop at the Williamson House.

Audrey Trevarthan is digital assistant. Contact her at [email protected].