Free confidential HIV testing returns to Kent State’s health center

DeWeese Health Center is the location for the free HIV and Hepatitis C testing.

Confidential HIV testing was relocated to the DeWeese Health Center for the fall semester, allowing students to access healthcare at no cost.

Testing dates will be offered throughout the fall semester, with the first one being held on Sept. 19. Testing times will run from noon to four and will be located in the annex of the DeWeese Health Center.

The testing is a great thing for the school to offer, said Sierra Baker, the coordinator for student health and well-being.

“The only way to know that you have HIV is to get tested,” Baker said.  “HIV-positive people can be asymptomatic or even have flu-like symptoms. This makes HIV even harder to catch.”

The program is not being utilized by many students.

“We have pretty low numbers when it comes to testing, and I don’t really know why that is,” she said.

A possible cause for low turnout may be due to students being uncomfortable going into the Student Recreation and Wellness Center for the test.

“To address that barrier, this year, we are offering it [testing] at the health center,” she said.

Baker hopes numbers for testing will increase as time goes on.

“Sometimes it just takes a while for programs to grow,” she said.

To make an appointment, students can call the wellness hub office and provide a date of birth. The students identity remains anonymous.

“There’s nothing tied to Kent State about this,” Baker said.

Janson McNair is assistant photo editor. Contact him at [email protected]