Students enjoy the last days of summer

Yasmeen Matthews
Kent State students enjoy an outdoor class outside of Taylor Hall on September 13, 2023.

As summer comes to an end, students have enjoyed the last few days of warm weather and blue skies by spending their time outside on campus.

Emilio Hernandez, a freshman journalism major, recollected how the weather affects students on campus as he worked on homework at a picnic table outside the library. 

“I do notice there are more people outside campus on sunnier days,” Hernandez said. “The sun helps me come outside so I don’t spend all my time in my room.” 

Not only do students study outside, but they also hang out with friends or destress from the hassle of classes and schoolwork. 

Jamey Simon, a sophomore fashion merchandising major, read a book outside the campus library on a swing as she discussed the activities she is doing to enjoy these last days of summer. 

“I like laying on a blanket and reading or listening to music with my friends,” Simon said. “Sometimes we’ll get food and then lay on a blanket so we’ll have a mini picnic.” 

Simon said she enjoys the summer but looks to the future months with an optimistic approach to the cooler weather. 

“I’m sad, but I’m excited,” Simon said. “I’m a warm-weather girl, but I’m also excited to make fall outfits.” 

Chloe Kurian, a sophomore health care administration major, talked about how the weather affects students on snowy days in comparison to summer days as she sat in her hammock and basked in the sun. 

“When it gets cold out, people don’t want to go to class especially if it’s raining or snowing,” Kurian said. “Seasonal depression is a true thing, and it’s hard to go to class when you aren’t feeling the greatest and the weather sucks.” 

Many students said they enjoy the outdoors because it gives them a place to study that is different from the typical classroom. 

Junior nursing majors Hailey Mullins and Diavionne Toney discussed the difference studying outside makes. 

“We get sleepy in the buildings,” Toney said. “I could fall asleep in the buildings, but I’m not going to fall asleep outside in front of all these people around me.” 

Mullins and Toney said they are sad to see the summer days go and are excited for fall weather, but they are not so thrilled about the gloomy rainy days. 

“Even when I’m in class, and obviously you don’t always see the weather outside when you’re in class, but I still feel like if I know it’s gloomy outside, it makes me feel like I don’t want to be in class,” Mullins said. 

Simon considered how she thought students will miss summer once the winter weather arrives. 

“Kids start getting sick of the snow after Christmas and they just want to be outside again,” she said. “It just raises spirits to be outside.”

Adrianna Quinlan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]