Sister Circle and The Element Magazine hold their first collaborative event

Aleeya Clemons

University student group Sister Circle and The Element Magazine held “Elevate your Element” Monday night. It was their first collaborative event held in the Student Multicultural Center. 

Co-director of programming for Sister Circle A’Kyra Holley wanted everyone to walk away from the event with an eye-opening experience.

“Authentic has been my word for the year.” Holley said. “I want every woman of color to feel accepted and authentic in their own skin, I really want them to get that out of today.” 

Sister Circle is a student organization established in 2009 created to uplift women of color. The Element Magazine, established in 2022, was created to highlight black creatives at Kent State. 

Sister Circle meets every Monday at 6 p.m. to share experiences and have open discussions. They also post volunteer opportunities to their Instagram page, to encourage members to participate in events that are helpful to the Kent community. 

Last semester, Sister Circle won the Organization Excellence award at the Student Leadership Awards and won Organization of the Year at the Ebony Achievement Awards.

Editor-in-chief of The Element Magazine Aniyah Davies has been a part of both organizations for the second year in a row. 

“Sister Circle has been a really big part of my college experience, so I wanted to share both of the things that I love into one.” Davies said. 

This year the two organizations collaborated to create an event to bring together women of color on campus. The event featured a variety of snacks for the attendees to enjoy and music.

The event began with an open discussion of the importance of showing up as one’s authentic self mentally and physically. 

The women went around the room sharing with everyone why they felt authenticity was important. 

“What does authenticity mean to you?” Holley said.

“It sets you apart from the masses,” an attendee responded.

Repeating after Jaida Brownlee, the co-director of programming for Sister Circle, the group recited a weekly affirmation. 

“Support yourself but your sister as well,” they wrote during their discussion. 

“Everyone close your eyes and raise your hand if you feel like you struggle with being yourself,” Holley said. “I want you guys to know that if you raised your hand you are not the only one.”

Attendees at the event were encouraged to make their own blog posts that represent them, equipped with affirmations and goals they had for themselves. The organization plans to create a compilation of every blog post created.

“Sister Circle is definitely a sisterhood, it’s community it’s love, and we want people to feel that.” Holley said.

Sister Circle hopes to continue to create events and spaces similar to this one for women of color on campus where they have the opportunity to meet people like them. 

“I just want Sister Circle to continue to grow and remain one of the best organizations on campus.” Brownlee said. 

The Element Magazine has plans to release its second issue Oct. 27, and they hope to continue to showcase black creatives on campus. 

“I genuinely just want people to feel a lot of community,” Davies said. “ I want Sister Circle and The Element to all be places of sanctuary where you feel loved and represented.” 

Samira Brown is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].