Banned Books Read-In prepares for third annual event

The 3rd annual banned books read-in will take place from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. September 27, in room 226 of Taylor Hall. Professor Stephanie Smith and Dr. Paul Haridakis, director of the School of Communication Studies, are the coordinators of the open mic celebration of the right to read.

Featuring faculty, staff and students, all are welcomed to read excerpts from a book of their choice that has been banned or challenged.

The event will be a recognition of the stories that have impacted the lives of the Kent State community and a celebration of the First Amendment right to free speech.

“We only have the rights that we stand up for,” Haridakis said.

The read-in will shed light on the increasing number of books being banned across the United States.

“The American Library Association has told us, this year, that more books have been banned in 2022 than in the twenty one years that they’ve been following this. It is definitely a growing trend,” Smith said.

The increasing number of books being banned each year is “a reminder that even though we have a First Amendment in this country and freedom of speech, that doesn’t protect us from censorship,” Haridakis said.

Banning books limits the free public accessibility and knowledge of those books. 

“A lot of people can’t afford to buy a book or buy books regularly for their kids. When it’s off the shelf, those kids are not going to get to read that book. And I find that appalling. I mean, books can be magical, books can be awful too. But who’s to say what someone else should read? I don’t feel I can say that. And I feel competent to say that,” Smith said.

The event is sponsored by ten organizations, one of them a student organization, the Flash Activities Board (FAB).

“This has always been about students, and for a student organization to actually get involved, it’s really been huge,” Haridakis said.

The event is free to attend and will offer free food, giveaways, prizes, and a costume contest. The League of Women Voters of Kent will have a representative attending giving students the opportunity to register to vote.

The KSU community can look forward to a “fun and spontaneous” evening that “can be both moving and really, really funny,” Smith said.

Lauren Bischof is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].