THIS OR THAT: Mascot battle: Let our eagle Flash stay golden

Yasmeen Matthews
Flash takes a trip to the Kent State student section at their first football game against Central Connecticut State on Sept. 16, 2023.

This opinion was written by Grace Davies, Annalexis Davis, Emma Kiko, Janson McNair, Leah Shepard, Jacob Shondel, Grace Springer and Anthony Zacharyasz from KentWired’s editorial board. After reading this article and its companion article, be sure to vote in the poll below so we can settle this debate once and for all. 

Our beloved mascot Flash the Golden Eagle has represented the university since 1985. Ever since, the mascot has been a symbol of pride. 

The black squirrel may be cute, but we’ve seen enough of them running around (or more accurately, running away) on campus and in the community. The squirrel should stay away from Flash’s territory.  

Flash connects Kent State students across decades. The university used real animals as the mascot starting in the ‘60s. When Flash was introduced, the university used a real golden eagle as a mascot, held on the arm of his handler, Earl Schriver Jr. of Baden, Pennsylvania. The flash costume and the golden eagle coexisted until the ‘90s.

Changing the mascot would break a decades-old tradition. He might be a traditional mascot, but his image, legacy and persona transcends time itself that even 38 years later, Flash continues to be an effervescent symbol that evolves with every incoming generation of students. 

When Kent State fans wear their blue and gold on game day, they are tied to the deep-rooted history Flash has always held high. Though popular legend may suggest the flagship color scheme was a coincidence, blue and gold stuck with even more resilience than Flash himself. Surrendering Flash as the trusty mascot of Kent State would mean surrendering our colors as well, for there is no reason for a black squirrel to don blue and gold.

For many years, Kent State couldn’t settle on a mascot — they were the silver foxes, the golden retrievers, a lightning-themed superhero, even an obscure TV character named Grog — but once the university found Flash, it finally stuck. 

Even back during his debut in 1985, they said there is nothing prouder than an eagle. 

So why would we change our mascot to a squirrel?

We need the intimidation and ear-piercing screech a golden eagle proudly makes. 

Golden eagles are fierce predators. They are fast and have impeccable vision for hunting. A golden eagle would eat a black squirrel for breakfast.

Imagine the football team running from the tunnel onto the field, being cheered on by thousands of fans while the marching band plays the fight song, but only this time, they’re being led by some guy in a squirrel costume. 

Yeah, that just doesn’t instill the same confidence. 

The fierceness and attitudes a golden flash exhibits are the sky-high standards Kent students from all walks of life hold themselves to, not the dodging-and-diving-from-predators lifestyle a black squirrel must live. 

Flash as we know him is the costumed mascot walking, dancing or even riding a tricycle around campus and at sports games. No matter who the competitor, Flash is confident. It’s infectious. 

He is an essential part of the Kent State identity. Even outside of sporting events, Flash is the personality representing the university. He’s everywhere, prominently giving high fives to the abundance of students, and he’s the guy incoming freshmen take a photo with for their mom to post on Facebook. 

Flash flies. Squirrels hide.

He’s the true Kent State mascot, and he’s here to stay.

This poll has ended.

THIS OR THAT: Who is the better Kent State mascot?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Grace Davies, Annalexis Davis, Emma Kiko, Janson McNair, Leah Shepard, Jacob Shondel, Grace Springer and Anthony Zacharyasz contributed to this editorial. Contact the editorial team at [email protected].

View Comments (2)