Emergency responsive methods offer community practice on real-world situations

Outside of the Beverly J. Warren Student Recreation and Wellness Center located at 1550 Ted Boyd Drive in Kent, Ohio. (The Kent Stater file)

A group of 11 met at the Warren Student Recreation and Wellness Center, but they were not there to work out or go for a swim.

The group was there to complete first aid, CPR and AED training Saturday afternoon, which was offered through the university’s Recreation and Wellness Services. 

The course spanned around five hours to allow for several presentations as well as hands-on learning for attendees. 

The first part of the course covered how and when to use CPR.

“We start off with a lecture portion where we learn about CPR and about the different scenarios that would require us to perform CPR,” Seema Dhaher, the course instructor and a junior psychology major, said. “Then we will do hands-on, where we practice how to treat life-threatening illnesses or sudden life-threatening illnesses.” 

Throughout the beginning portion of the course, Dhaher had attendees practice taking their pulse. She also demonstrated on a dummy how to approach a victim who might need medical assistance. 

The next portion of the course covered the use of first aid. Through an additional presentation lecture on the subject, attendees practiced the basics of first aid hands-on and then took an exam, Dhaher said.

The hands-on portion of the course allows attendees to practice for real-life scenarios where their skills might be needed.

“We practice how to recognize that there is an emergency, how to approach an emergency,” Dhaher said. “Once you approach an emergency, how to interact with the victim whether they are conscious or unconscious. Then if they are unconscious what do you do from there.” 

This course is open to anyone looking to become certified in these fields. It costs $70 for students, $75 for Rec Center members and $85 for non-members, the Recreation and Wellness Services website stated. 

There are no prerequisites for taking the course, Dhaher said.

Dhaher, who learned CPR two years ago through the university’s Recreation and Wellness Services, believes that properly performing CPR is a skill that everyone should learn, she said. 

Others were required to attend for various reasons. 

“I am vice president of my club sport, so I am required to [learn CPR],” said Gabrielle Hart, a senior zoology major. 

Despite the reason for Hart’s attendance, she said CPR was still a valuable skill to learn. 

Dhaher also explained the importance of learning and administering CPR/AED skills out in the real world.

“Every minute that CPR and defibrillation is delayed, we lower the victim’s chance of survival by 10%,” Dhaher said. “It is very critical if at least you know what an AED is, get it on, it will help.” 

Future sessions compiling training of these life-saving measures will occur through the end of the year and dates and times are listed on the Recreation and Wellness Services’ website

“Life-threatening illnesses can happen at any moment,” Dhaher said. “As long as you know how to use an AED and perform CPR we are giving the victim the best chance at survival.”

Olivia Montgomery is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].