Student Recreation and Wellness Center plans to add instructional videos to equipment

Matthew Brown
The Kent State Recreation and Wellness Center, located at 1550 Ted Boyd Dr, Kent, OH.

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center will add QR codes with instructional videos to its workout equipment to increase students’ comfort using the machines.

Dominque Hill, the assistant dean of students for Recreation and Wellness Services, said he aims to implement this change in the spring semester and hopes it will make students feel less intimidated about coming to the facility.

“We want students not to feel like they already have to know how to use a piece of equipment before they use it,” he said.

The QR codes will be placed on their equipment machines, and students will simply be able to scan the code and be prompted with a video explaining how to properly use the equipment, Hill said.

“We realize that there is some anxiety for some people, but we try to make sure that we create spaces for students to feel like they’re welcomed and accepted here,” he said.

Avery Marrs, the founder of Kent State Ladies Lift, said another cause of anxiety for students wishing to use the SRWC is seeing the influx of students coming in and out.

“The rush hour here is crawling with people, and so it can be really scary to go down on the big weight floor,” she said.

Crowds at the SRWC can make the space very limited, and this can be hard to navigate, especially if you’re just starting out, Marrs said.

“Even sometimes I will still come in, it’s super crazy busy, and I can’t even find a spot to actively do my workout without getting in someone’s way,” she said.

Marrs said she created her organization to solve some of these problems and that public gyms being male-dominated plays a big role in the anxiety surrounding using facilities like the SRWC.

“I saw how much women, especially college-aged, are intimidated at the gym and how much they want to get into it, but they’re really just scared to start by themselves,” she said.

Marrs said that one of her organization’s goals is to give members a sense of confidence in their workouts and overall fitness knowledge.

“We aim to educate on proper form and how to do it so that you feel confident doing it by yourself,” she said.

Hill said he hopes the changes will get more people to use the SRWC and utilize the resources that it offers.

“This is a place that we will either help you learn, so you can get to a level that you can benefit from participating, or at least just make you feel like you are welcome here,” Hill said.

Janson Mcnair is a photo assistant. Contact him at [email protected].