Exchange students study at the university to experience the U.S. culture

Trivia+Night+is+held+on+September+29%2C+and+students+learn+about+different+cultures%2C+traditions+through+a+game+
Yui Kaichi
Trivia Night is held on September 29, and students learn about different cultures, traditions through a game

In fall 2023, the university recorded the highest number of international students after returning from the pandemic, according to Kent State International Admissions.

Many exchange students come to America not only to learn English but to learn American culture, get a degree and more reasons. 

“Since I was young, I have been interested in studying new languages,” said Yuto Yamamoto, a junior in linguistics major from Japan. “I chose Kent State based on their linguistics major program.”

Having study abroad experiences and learning English-speaking skills affects job hunting.

“I decided to study abroad because it has a big advantage in job hunting,” said Naoto Komiyama, a junior in mechanical engineering major from Japan. “We desire English skills recently in Japan.”

One international students chose Kent State to focus on completing a degree to further their future careers. 

“Kent State has a great pilot program,” said Rayan Altowayan, a senior Aeronautics major from Saudi Arabia. “Saudi Airlines chose Kent State, and they sent me here.”

Kent State has several majors recognized worldwide that international students came to Kent State to study.

“I chose Kent State because not only for the good nursing program, but because I knew I was going to live in a dorm for at least two years,” said Suyeon Kwon, a sophomore nursing major from South Korea. “So I was looking for a traditional campus that had a lot of dorms, and Kent requires students to stay in the dorm.”

However, traveling from one country to another can lead to experiences of culture shock. 

“It felt weird that in America they wear shoes in the house at first because we do not have that same culture in South Korea,” Kwon said. 

Japan is an island country, so Japanese people do not have a lot of opportunities to interact with people from other countries. 

“I like the environment of the melting pot,” Komiyama said. “I met a lot of people from other countries, and I learned a lot from them.”

Exchange students from Japan may struggle with the costs of things because of the depreciation of the yen. One yen is currently equivalent to .00067 U.S. dollar.

“I feel everything is expensive here when I convert dollar to yen,” Yamamoto said. “I am not working here, so I should manage everything.”

Many international students also live in a culture where needing a car is not required. Some international students feel it is inconvenient that they cannot go anywhere without a car.

“It is inconvenient and stressful that I cannot go anywhere without a car, even grocery shopping,” Komiyama said. “I always have to ask someone who has a car.”

While both exchange students and international students struggle to adapt to new cultures, many say they enjoy the atmosphere.

“I like Kent State’s library,” Altowayan said. “I met a lot of nice people through the library.”

Yamamoto feels more freedom here and likes that they can show their identity.

“I cared too much about people while I was in Japan and dressed up all the time when I went to college,” Yamamoto said. “But I do not have to feel too much peer pressure here, so I can be the person I want to be.”

Yui Kaichi is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]