Winning streak reaches three as field hockey eyes MAC Tournament

Matthew Brown
The Kent State field hockey team ring the bell after securing a victory against Miami on Oct 13, 2023. The Golden Flashes won the game 2-1.

Kent State’s field hockey team earned its third consecutive win Sunday, beating Longwood University 3-1.

KSU improved its record to 6-9 overall and 4-2 in the Mid-American Conference, remaining tied for third place in the conference and now 4-4 at home.

The current three-game winning streak is the longest this season for the Flashes.

The Lancers fell to 3-14 on the season, extending their losing streak to three games. The team is in sixth place in the conference at 1-5.

Sunday

Kent State headed into the contest with back-to-back wins against Miami University and Lock Haven. 

The Lancers struck first in the opening quarter, going up 1-0 after a penalty corner. 

Senior forward Katie Wuerstle responded for Kent State, tying it up at 1-1. 

This was her third goal of the season.

Freshman midfielder Eva Usoz was back in the scoring column, converting on a penalty corner in the second quarter, giving KSU a 2-1 lead. 

Usoz was not done, as she would extend the lead for the Flashes, converting on her second goal of the day and making it a 3-1 game in the third quarter. This was on Kent State’s eighth penalty corner of the game.

Usoz leads the Flashes with nine goals this season.

Kent State Women’s Field Hockey vs. Ohio University at Murphy-Mellis Field on Sept. 22, 2023. (Brittany Lucia)

In the game’s final minutes, both teams were scoreless, as Kent State was able to hang on for a 3-1 victory. 

KSU would lead in corners (12-7) and shots (21-9). 

KSU also led in corners and shots for three out of the four quarters. 

After making the MAC Tournament last season as a two-seed, the Flashes currently hold the fourth and final spot in the tournament with two regular-season games remaining. 

The Flashes have finished first or second in the MAC every year since 2007.

KSU has won 18 regular season and 12 tournament championships, with the team’s last conference tournament win coming in 2016.

The RedHawks (11-7, 5-1), currently tied for first in MAC, have won the last six tournament titles – the most consecutive in conference history.

Looking back

The Flashes are now averaging two goals a game, while having 12 shots a game with 91 penalty corners this season. 

The Flashes rank sixth with 30 goals scored in the MAC.

On the defensive side of the ball, Kent State has 83 saves this season.

The two shutouts this season are the fifth most in the conference.

Junior goalkeeper Cecile Van Eijck has recorded the third-most saves (78) and third-fewest goals allowed (30) through 15 games played this season in the MAC.  

After leading her team in goals Sunday afternoon, Usoz sits in fifth place in goals scored with nine in the MAC. 

She also has three game-winning goals – second most in the MAC.

On the road

The Flashes will head to Louisville, Kentucky, to face off against Bellarmine for their last conference game of the year. 

Bellarmine sits right behind Kent State in the MAC standings with a 3-3 conference record and a 7-9 overall record. Bellarmine has a 4-6 record at home.

KSU is 4-0 all-time against the Knights, outscoring them 24-1.

Game time is 6 p.m. Friday.

Kyle Kuchta is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].