Miami continues its streak: Field hockey drops championship game

Matthew Brown
Kent State junior Jenna McCrudden winds up for a shot at the goal during the game against Ball State.

After defeating Miami (OH) 2-1 on Oct. 13, Kent State’s field hockey team had its opportunity to end the RedHawk’s run of five consecutive Mid-American Conference Tournament titles Saturday.

However, in Oxford, Ohio, the RedHawks defeated KSU 3-1, earning their seventh title since 2013.

Kent State finished its season 8-11, sitting in third place in the MAC – KSU’s last tournament title came in 2016. 

The RedHawks finished 14-7 overall with a 6-1 conference record.

In their last 10 matchups from 2017-2023, the Flashes are 3-7, averaging 1.8 goals. 

Kent State has a 9-10 overall conference record against Miami. 

The first quarter started out with Miami leading Kent State in shots (3-0). The RedHawks also led in penalty corners (3-1) and shots on goal as well (2-0). 

Kent State would lead in saves (2-0) 

After one quarter in the books, both teams were held scoreless. 

In the second quarter, Miami struck first for a 1-0 lead with less than two minutes before halftime off a rebound shot. 

Kent State made three saves in the quarter.

The Flashes could not respond as the RedHawks tacked on another score just two minutes into the third quarter, making the score 2-0. 

Miami extended its lead, making it a 3-0 game after converting on a penalty corner in the opening three minutes of the fourth quarter. 

Sophomore forward Emma Rolston got the Flashes on the board off a penalty corner for her fifth goal of the season, making it a 3-1 game with eight minutes remaining.

Two minutes later, Rolston had another corner but could not capitalize as the RedHawks earned their spot in the NCAA Tournament. 

Miami had seven shots in the fourth quarter compared to KSU’s three.

Junior goalkeeper Cecile van Eijck tallied 10 saves in the game. She had five saves alone in the fourth quarter. 

The Flashes led in saves in total, 10-1. 

The RedHawks led in penalty corners (8-3) and shots on goal (13-2). 

Miami had 15 total shots in the game. Kent State had just four with two shots on goal. 

Sophomore back Iris Bekker, sophomore forward Patricia Strunk and Rolsten were named MAC All-Tournament selections. 

With the victory, the RedHawks earned an automatic bid for the NCAA Tournament, beginning Wednesday.

On the season, freshman midfielder Eva Usoz led the team with nine goals – fifth most in the MAC. 

Strunk recorded the tenth-most shots in the conference with 38.

Bekker finished the season with a team-leading four defensive saves.

Van Eijck tailed 95 saves, placing third in the MAC. 

As a team, the Flashes ranked fourth in shots (210), fifth in goals (37) and allowed the third-fewest goals (38) in the conference.

Kyle Kuchta is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].