Eyes up, phones down: New Ohio distracted driving law takes full effect

Matthew Brown
Traffic moves down East Main Street and along the edge of campus on Oct. 26, 2023.

Ohio law enforcement started enforcing a new distracted driving law that took full effect Oct. 5.

The law, which was originally passed on April 4, underwent a six-month grace period before beginning to be enforced heavily.

It prohibits anyone who is operating a motor vehicle from using or holding a cell phone or other electronic device in any capacity. 

“It is illegal to use or hold a cell phone or electronic device in your hand, lap or other part of your body while driving on Ohio roads,” said Shaun Baskerville, Ohio State Highway Patrol sergeant.

This includes sending a text message, having a video call or browsing social media, Baskerville said.

Despite not being able to physically hold or have a cell phone out while driving, drivers can still make phone calls in a safe manner. 

“Drivers over 18 years of age can make or receive calls via hands free devices,” Baskerville said. “That includes your speakerphone, earpiece, wireless headset, watch and your vehicle.”

While the law enforces no cell phone usage while driving, there are a few exceptions that drivers should be aware of. 

“The exception to this law is if you are reporting an emergency to law enforcement, if you’re dialing 911 or parked on a road or highway during an emergency road closure,” Baskerville said. 

Additionally, drivers who are stopped on the road are able to use their cellphones without fear of penalty.  

“If you’re stopped in a roadway, if you’re at a stop sign or stopped in traffic like at a red light, you are able to dial a phone number, things like that,” Baskerville said. 

A law against distracted driving is not new for the state of Ohio. However, there are changes to this new law as opposed to the ones of the past.

“One of the changes from the previous distracted driving law is if a law enforcement officer sees the violation, they can pull you over for it,” Baskerville said. “Now it’s a primary violation.”

This means that there are now penalties for being caught using a cell phone while driving, Baskerville said. 

“The first offense will be two points on your driver’s license and up to $150 fine. If you have a second offense within two years you have another three points assessed and a $250 fine,” he said. “If you have three or more offenses in two years you get four points assessed and up to a $500 fine and a possible 90 day license suspension.”

Brian Boston, a junior exercise science major, said this law is an important step to safe driving.

“I think it is [important] because it makes the roads safer, you really shouldn’t be looking at your phone at all,” Boston said. “That’s why new cars have the CarPlay so you don’t have to look down at your phone for a GPS or anything.”

Ethan Wenk, a senior applied engineering major, said he believes the law will cut down on reckless driving.

“It is good because people are on their phones and they are texting, and they look up and they are diagonal going towards a mailbox,” he said.

Law enforcement officials across the state noticed certain trends, paving the way toward further legislation implemented on the roads, Baskerville said. 

“For the last several years, we started seeing an uptick in distracted driving being the primary cause of several fatal crashes,” he said. 

Wenk said he believed the new law will encourage others to be safer on the roads.

“I didn’t really look at my phone a lot to begin with,” Boston said. “But I would say it will encourage me knowing that they are stricter about it.”

Olivia Montgomery is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]