Sex Week continues with asexual/aromantic roundtable discussion

Cadie Pierce
The LGBTQ+ Center hosts a packed roundtable on Asexuality on Oct. 26, 2023.

As a part of this year’s sex week, the LGBTQ+ Center ran a roundtable discussion talking about asexuality. This is the third year for the roundtable discussion, but the first year it was advertised as part of Sex Week.

Sam Clark, LGBTQ+ Center intern and senior psychology major, was one of two hosts for the event.

Clark was grateful the Sex Week organizers were able to fit the event into the week’s schedule to discuss what goes into the topics of the asexual/aromantic community. 

“Asexuality is a very overlooked concept especially when we’re talking about sex, reproductive health and orientation,” Clark said. “When you have big events here on campus like sex week, everybody is talking about intercourse and it makes [asexuals] feel isolated.” 

Clark said many individuals approached [the hosts] prior to the event, expressing excitement for the roundtable because it acted as a safe place for asexuals during sex week. 

Sam Clark, a senior psychology major and intern at the LGBTQ+ Center, speaks to the group at the Asexual Roundtable on Oct. 26, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

“Especially during this week, we got to be a safe space for [asexuals],” Clark said. “And then we get to educate other people about asexuality because it is so linked with sexual orientation.” 

Students who came to the discussion enjoyed a presentation, drinks and garlic sticks. The garlic sticks played into the presentation as they were referenced when discussing asexual memes and symbols surrounding satisfaction. 

Clark, along with another LGBTQ+ Center intern, said they worked to make the information presented the most accurate and inclusive as possible. 

“When deciding what gets put out into the discussion, it’s very much how can we be an advocate and ally for the community we’re representing,” Clark said. “Then also, how can we lead a discussion that leaves the door.” 

For Clark, the goal of the discussion is for people to feel welcomed and leave having conversations talking about asexuality in a way they haven’t before.

About 30 students attended the event, which exceeded Clark’s expectations. The host planned for about 15 students but continued to gain excitement as more students walked through the door. 

“Being able to have a space like this where we can look at smaller minorities within the LGBTQ+ community, like the [asexual] community, and then make them feel welcome, like they belong here is such a good thing,” Clark said. “I hope Kent continues to provide us with the opportunity to make everyone feel like they belong here.” 

Adrianna Quinlan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].