OPINION: Football’s nationally-worst ranking is not the end of the world

Brittany Lucia
Kent State rush ends coach CJ Robbins speaks with the football team during the homecoming game on Oct. 21, 2023.

The football season has been undeniably rough for Kent State, but the team experienced a new low point earlier this week.

The Flashes were ranked as the worst team in the nation in an article published by CBS Sports on Oct. 24 as part of its “Bottom 25” segment.

This came after the team’s seventh loss this season and fifth in a row.

Kent State went into last week’s homecoming game as the second-worst team, behind Nevada. But the Flashes’ 24-6 defeat, along with Nevada’s 6-0 win against San Diego State University (its first of the season) pushed them into the No. 1 spot.

The struggles begin offensively, as the team has scored 10 or fewer points in five of the eight games played this season while scoring more than 17 points only once.

Kent State is ranked dead last in the nation (130 teams) in scoring offense, producing just 100 points this season, 12.5 points per game.

All offenses run through the quarterback, a position KSU cannot find strong footing with.

At the beginning of the season, coach Kenni Burns named Purdue transfer Mike Alaimo as the starting quarterback.

He has started in all eight games, but his play has been questionable at times.

The redshirt junior has completed 79 of his 144 pass attempts for 932 yards and has thrown two touchdowns and four interceptions.

His passing yard total ranked 107th nationally, and his 108.26 pass efficiency rating is 107th out of 110 possible quarterbacks in the nation.

As a unit, Kent State allows the 12th-most sacks in the nation (29) and is fifth-worst on third down (28.8% conversion rate).

The offense struggles generally moving the ball, as the Flashes come in as the third-worst team in total offensive yards/game with 259.8. The team had just 164 total yards last week against Buffalo, the lowest mark of the season.

It does not get much better on the defensive side of the ball.

The defense has allowed 40 points or more three times this season and has allowed two teams (Fresno State and University of Central Florida) to have more than 500 yards of total offense.

Except for the lone win against Central Connecticut State University, every game has been a 14-point loss or worse.

KSU allows 33 points per game on average, 114th in the nation – the team has scored 33 points or more only once this season.

The defensive unit also struggles statistically in sacks (seven in eight games – 129th nationally), turnovers (seven – 104th nationally), and stopping on third down (allowing 49.5% of third down conversions – 126th nationally).

Silver lining

While the stats do not put the Flashes in the best light, the team is plainly experiencing growing pains in a new era of football.

KSU welcomed a new first-time head coach at the beginning of the season and returned only two starters to the team.

Breakout seasons from a few underclassmen provide hope for the team.

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Chrishon McCray has exploded as the team’s top receiver by leading the team in receptions (35) and receiving yards (449) while also catching two touchdown passes.

Sophomore running back Gavin Garcia has made the most of his time as a first-time starter. He leads the team in carries (96), rushing yards (374) and has scored two touchdowns on the ground.

Sophomore defensive lineman Stephen Daley is starting for the first time this season and totals 24 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and one interception on the season.

Along with three true freshmen on the interior of the offensive line, the Flashes are among one of the youngest and most inexperienced teams in the nation.

It is to be expected that a team with an almost entirely new starting cast would struggle to find its identity in the first year.

Burns has mentioned this season multiple times about the constant shift on the offensive line, and the general uncertainty at the quarterback position has shown as of late, with sophomore Tommy Ulatowski getting more snaps in tandem with Alaimo in the three most recent games.

In any case, a good team is built around player chemistry, and while the team is without quarrels with one another, the players just need more time on the field together.

Wins, championships and other successes are most definitely on the way for Kent State — but the process of becoming a team capable of attaining them takes time.

Burns and the Flashes will have four more games to figure it out before the 2023 season comes to an end.

KSU has been eliminated from bowl contention following the loss to Buffalo, but a more favorable schedule is on the horizon.

Two of the final four games will be against Akron and Ball State, who both made it on CBS Sports’ “Bottom 25” segment this week.

Akron is ranked seventh-worst, and Ball State is tenth-worst.

Kent State’s next game will be against the Zips on Wednesday at InfoCision Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

The team is understandably struggling to find its footing as a mix of difficult opponents and growing talent make themselves known this season, but a team built for the future is not meant to win immediately.

John Hilber is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].