‘She truly believes in every student:’ Kathryn Wilson receives Distinguished Teaching Award

Courtesy of Kathryn Wilson
Kathryn Wilson won the Distinguished Teaching Award during her macroeconomics class.

Kathryn Wilson, an economics professor, was one of three recipients to receive the Distinguished Teaching Award for 2023. She has been teaching for 28 years and said she has loved every minute. 

“I’ve been here a long time, and I’ve gotten different recognitions for a lot of different things over that time _ this one was really special, though,” Wilson said. “I love teaching, and to get recognized for the part of my job that brings me the most joy really was very meaningful.” 

Wilson was nominated by students to receive the award and then was chosen as a top-ten finalist by the committee. After being chosen as a finalist, Wilson sent in a portfolio highlighting her teaching career, which included class syllabi, letters of recommendation and a teaching statement. 

The professor, who earned her doctorate in economics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said she got emotional when she first found out she won during her macroeconomics class. 

“I was so excited,” Wilson said. “They did it towards the beginning of class so people are always coming and going all the time, so I didn’t look up and then I heard the door and saw this whole string of people with balloons.”  

Wilson said she wanted to become a professor because of her love for teaching. 

“I love college-age students,” Wilson said. “It’s a great time for you to be finding out who you are, finding out what things you really enjoy, and your first chance to really study those topics that are just what you want to do.”

Wilson describes her teaching career as fun, meaningful and a learning experience.

An important part of Wilson’s teaching style, she learned, was to relinquish control in the classroom. 

In economics, Wilson wants students to improve critical thinking skills, and the best way to do that for her is to give up control and allow students to find the meaning in what they are learning, she said. 

“My students being able to learn, explain, discover for themselves is way more important for what they’re going to do three, five or ten years from now,” Wilson said. 

Isabel Lehman, a senior economics major, is a student in Wilson’s senior seminar class. Lehman said Wilson fosters independence and described her as an all-around incredible person.

“It is very discussion-based, so not a lot of lecturing,” Lehman said. “She facilitates discussion, encourages us to talk to each other, encourages collaboration, and you can tell she really cares about her students and about us understanding the concepts.” 

Lehman was not surprised when she found out Wilson won the award because she knew how good of a professor she is. 

“She’s not hyper-involved – she just gives us a push which I love,” Lehman said. “The thing I love about Kathy is that she encourages independence, and she truly believes in every student.”

Wilson also values student feedback within the classroom and understands there may be a better way to do things. 

“I want students to have a sense of ownership in the class,” Wilson said. “When they give me feedback and then they see that feedback implemented, I think it helps them.”

When Wilson cannot implement feedback, she said she opens up conversations and discusses with students what may help instead. 

Wilson only has a few years left of teaching before retiring, but she said she is excited to see what is to come in those few years. 

“My hope is that I continue to adapt, continue to grow, continue to be open to new ways of doing things,” Wilson said. “I don’t know what new tricks I have over the next few years, but I’m sure going to enjoy the ride.” 

Adrianna Quinlan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]

View Comments (1)