Students and Sean Evans share some “Hot Ones”

Courtesy of Kent State’s Undergraduate Student Government

Before the challenge even began Thursday, students crowded in the Cartwright Hall auditorium got to their feet one by one, enthusiastically chanting, “Hot Ones! Hot Ones! Hot Ones!”

Brian Johnson, director of programming for the Undergraduate Student Government, introduced Sean Evans, host of the YouTube show “Hot Ones.” 

“Hot Ones” is a show on YouTube that holds interviews with celebrity guests. From Billie Eilish to Pedro Pascal, nearly every notable celebrity has been on an episode of “Hot Ones.”

However, there is a twist to the show. While being interviewed, Evans and the interviewee eat chicken wings dipped in hot sauces that get increasingly spicier, prompting unique reactions from the guests in question.

Johnson said this was the first time Evans had done an event in a college setting. 

The night began with Johnson interviewing Evans about his life and his experiences on “Hot Ones. “Johnson wanted attendees to learn more about Evans’ personal life and see him as less of a celebrity and more as a person.

“Oftentimes we’ll see a celebrity and think OK, a celebrity,” Johnson said, “but people also forget, they’re people in their normal lives too.”

During the second half of the night, Evans held a classic “Hot Ones” style interview, complete with an array of hot sauces interviewing the owner of Southern Comfort Kitchen in Akron, Will Matthews.

Johnson elaborated on choosing Matthews as the one to be interviewed.

“I wanted for it to be somebody that’s notable to students and the Kent community,” he said, “but also someone who I think has a story to tell,” 

Some attendees agreed Williams was a good pick for the challenge.

“He was really funny, I liked him,” freshman psychology major Aamna Imran said. “He was relatable too.”

Johnson said the student body’s reaction when the event was initially announced was overwhelmingly positive.

“I don’t think we received one bad comment, negative feedback from it,” Johnson said. “Which personally, I think that’s one of the greatest things to receive as a director of programming.”

Addison Foreman is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].