Volleyball suffers first 20-loss season in six years

Cadie Pierce
Following a successful kill by sophomore outside hitter Mackenzie McGuire (11), senior Defensive Specialist Bryn Roberts (3 in white) and sophomore setter Kendall White (20) are among the teammates celebrating the point against Central Michigan on Nov. 3, 2023.

Kent State’s volleyball team took on Central Michigan University (14-13, 8-7) over the weekend at the M.A.C. Center, looking to avoid its first 20-loss season since 2017. 

On Friday, the Flashes could not win a set, losing 3-0, and despite winning the opening set on Saturday, KSU lost 3-1.

The Flashes have now lost six of its previous seven games and fell to 6-20 on the season and sit in second to last place in the East Division of the Mid-American Conference at 2-13.

Kent State freshman setter Lily King (center) emphatically celebrates the kill by middle blocker Kiana Mack as the team huddles together to prep for the next serve against Central Michigan on Nov. 3, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

Both teams would go back and forth early during Friday’s match, with Kent State taking an early lead of 6-4. 

Each time CMU looked like they were going to make up ground, KSU would answer back with a run of their own. 

The Flashes would go on a 10-3 run midway through the set to go up 18-16. 

Kent State would remain on top and win the first set 25-23. 

In the second set, the Chippewas got out to a fast start and took a 9-6 lead. 

As KSU continued to fight back, CMU remained in control and would lead midway through the set 20-14 after a large run. 

The Flashes went on a 7-3 run late, but it wasn’t enough to slow down the Chippewas, and they would win the second set 25-21 and tie the match at 1-1. 

Central Michigan would continue with their momentum in the third set.

CMU went up 16-10 before KSU on a four-point swing to make the score 16-14. 

Although the Flashes were fighting back, it was too late, as the Chippewas took the third set with a score of 25-19 and went up 2-1 in the match.

Kent State graduate student middle blocker Burgundy Walters and freshman outside hitter Logan Henderson anticipate the set from sophomore setter Kendall White in the opening set of the Kent State vs. Central Michigan match on Nov. 3, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

As the fourth and final set got underway, CMU took an early lead of 7-6, with plenty of game left to play. 

Unfortunately for the Flashes, the Chippewas went on a 10-5 run to make the score 17-11 going into the final stretch of the set. 

To close it out, Central Michigan would go on an 8-4 run to win the first set with a score of 25-15, winning the final set and the match 3-1.

Saturday 

Central Michigan remained strong going into Saturday’s matchup. 

KSU had the lead early on at 5-3 before CMU would go on a 15-3 run to make the lead 18-8. 

After that run, the score would go back and forth until the end of the set. 

The Flashes could not make up the deficit and would lose the first set 25-12. 

As the second set got underway, both teams were locked together 7-7, and they would go back and forth and tie the game again at 15-15. 

Unfortunately, the Chippewas would go on a 10-3 run to take the win in set two, 25-18, and improve the lead on sets 2-0. 

As the third and final set got underway, Central Michigan would get out to a large lead early, going up 11-4. 

KSU would go on a run of their own to minimize the lead to only four, with CMU retaining the lead at 16-12. 

The momentum the Chippewas had was too much, as the team continued on and would win the third and final set 25-16 after going on a 9-4 run and winning the match 3-0 on sets. 

Coming Up

Freshman defensive specialist Brooke Rifkin jumps in front of sophomore outside hitter Mackenzie McGuire to bump the ball up to the front line during the second set of the Central Michigan match on Nov. 3, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

The Flashes will go up against Eastern Michigan (3-24, 1-14) in Ypsilanti, Michigan, Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 6 p.m. for the teams final away games of the season. 

All-time KSU is 8-8 against the Eagles and has won three of the previous four meetings.

Ethan Madden is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]