Losing streak extends to four games as volleyball eyes for final game of season

Yasmeen Matthews
Kent State Flashes Volleyball celebrating their win against Miami University Redhawks on October 13, 2023.

Kent State’s volleyball team (6-22 overall, 2-15 Mid-American Conference) extended its losing streak to four games at Eastern Michigan (4-24, 2-14) over the weekend. The Flashes have one only one of its last nine games.

As the Friday’s first set got underway, KSU was able to take an 8-5 lead and did not slow down. 

As the Flashes took a 15-10 lead, the team continued to apply pressure and went on a 5-2 run to make the score 20-12. 

The Eagles took back six points, but it wasn’t enough to slow down Kent State, as the team won the set 25-18 and took a 1-0 match lead. 

In the second set, EMU had a 7-5 lead early on before KSU went on a run of its own to take the lead and make the score 11-8. 

Both teams would then trade points and were tied 17-17. Kent State took the lead late after a 6-2 run, but Eastern Michigan stormed back to tie the game 24-24. 

EMU went on a 4-2 run and won the second set 28-26, tying the match at 1-1. 

The third set was another back-and-forth matchup between the two sides. 

Late in the set, the Flashes were up 24-22 before the Eagles stormed back again to tie the game. As the programs battled for the match point, both teams were locked together again at 29-29, making this the seventh tie of the set. 

Eastern Michigan ended up closing out the game, winning the second set 31-29 to take a 2-1 lead. 

In the fourth and final set, EMU started fast and took an 11-7 lead. 

KSU fought back and ended up tying the set at 17-17. The teams continued to go back and forth, with both teams then tied at 20-20. 

The Eagles went on a 5-2 run to close out the set 25-22 and won the match 3-1 on sets. 

Sophomore outside hitter Mackenzie McGuire led the Flashes in kills with 17. Graduate student middle blocker Burgundy Walters led both teams with six blocks, and sophomore setter Kendall White led both teams with 38 assists and 24 digs. 

Saturday 

Both teams picked up right where they left off, as they both remained close together early in the first set. There were five ties early, as KSU and EMU found themselves tied at 10-10. 

The biggest lead of the whole set was only three points between the sides. 

Again, both sides were tied at 22-22. The Eagles pulled off the win in the first set, winning 26-24 after a 4-2 run. 

In the second set, both teams were tied 2-2 before Eastern Michigan went on a six-point run to increase the score to 8-2. 

Kent State answered back with an 8-2 run of its own to tie the set at 10-10. 

Although KSU continued to fight back, EMU remained ahead and did not drop the lead the rest of the set. 

Eastern Michigan closed out the set 25-21 and took a 2-0 lead on sets in the match. 

In the third and final set, the Flashes took an early 5-4 lead before the Eagles went on a five-point run to take back the lead 9-5. 

KSU then went on a run to tie the set at 9-9. 

The scores remained close for the remainder of the set, with the biggest lead only being three points by EMU. 

With Kent State down one point with the score 19-18, Eastern Michigan went on a 3-1 scoring sequence to put the team up 22-19. The Eagles closed out the set with a score of 25-22 to sweep the Flashes 3-0 on sets to win the match. 

McGuire and freshman outside hitter Logan Henderson combined for 19 kills in the second match.

Sophomore middle blocker Sadie Wright led the team with three blocks, White led the team with 21 assists and senior libero Bryn Roberts led the team with 12 digs. 

Coming Up

Kent State will play Ohio University (17-12, 12-5) in its last regular-season game at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the M.A.C. Center. 

On Sept. 26, the Bobcats defeated KSU 3-0. All time, the Flashes are 4-28 against OU. 

KSU has only won one game against OU since 2018.

Ethan Madden is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]