Strong second half propels men’s basketball to victory

John Hilber
Kent State plays Malone in the first home game of the 2023 basketball season on Nov. 6, 2023.

The Kent State men’s basketball team opened the season with a 79-58 home win against Malone University on Monday. 

“Our execution has to get better, attention to detail on some things need to get better, but guys played for each other, which is important,” coach Rob Senderoff said. “I thought the bench and everybody was in a great mental state.”

The Flashes extended their home winning streak to 23 games – the second longest in the nation behind UCLA. 

Malone came out firing in the first half to test a Kent State team with new faces across the roster.

The Pioneers hung tough while shooting 39% from three, making seven in the first half.

The Flashes turned the ball over seven times in the first half, letting Malone keep the score close while Kent State held a 36-33 halftime lead.

After 20 minutes, the Pioneers were 7-of-18 on 3-pointers and 13-of-29 overall.

After the break, Senderoff implemented a full-court press that sped up Malone. The defensive change caused ten turnovers and led to 13 points off of those turnovers.

“A number of guys in the second half brought great energy to the defensive side of the ball,” Senderoff said. “We had a number of guys that came in and did a good job in the second half of pressuring the basketball.”

Kent State attacked the rim early and often in the second half, leading to a 15-of-18 clip from the free throw line and 20-of-24 on the game. 

“Shooting a free throw is able to get me going,” sophomore guard Reggie Bass said. “So once I get to the line, I know everything else is going be an easier shot.”

The Flashes also commanded the boards, boasting a 24-16 advantage, including 16 offensive rebounds. 

The frontcourt trio of graduate student forward Chris Payton, junior center Cli’Ron Hornbeak and sophomore forward Delrecco Gillespie tallied 21 of the team’s 40 rebounds.

Redshirt senior Giovanni Santiago returned from a season-ending hand injury last year in the 67-55 loss to Akron on Feb. 3.

“It wasn’t easy watching these guys work every day while I was doing rehab,” Santiago said. “I just wanted to change the game; we were struggling in the first half, but we played on our defense and transition game, and that was the biggest difference.”

Santiago led the Flashes with 15 points on 50% shooting from the field and four rebounds.

Bass made his Kent State debut, scoring 14 points. 

“It’s been real good, new players, new plays, and a new situation,” Bass said. “But I would say overall, it’s been a real good situation for me, and that’s helped a lot.”

Up next, Kent State will continue a three-game home stand on Thursday at 7 p.m. against James Madison University.

JMU was selected to win the Sun Belt Conference in the head coach’s preseason poll

Last season, the Dukes finished 22-11, and redshirt junior guard Terrence Edwards Jr. averaged 13.3 points and 5.1 rebounds and converted 33-of-72 shots from behind the arc. 

James Madison defeated No. 4 Michigan State 79-76 in its opening game this season. 

MSU is projected to finish second in the Big Ten conference.

“It’s an early season game, but it’s a huge game,” Senderoff said. “They’re one of the top mid-major schools in the country this season.”

“I’d love for the students to be there because when they get going, it really makes a huge difference for us,” he said.

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].