Men’s basketball brings in new faces

Kent+State+Mens+basketball+huddles+during+the+second+half+of+the+game+against+Ohio+University+Jan.+26%2C+2024%2C+where+they+lost+71+to+64.+
Yasmeen Matthews
Kent State Men’s basketball huddles during the second half of the game against Ohio University Jan. 26, 2024, where they lost 71 to 64.

The transfer portal can cause a team to lose, but it can also help a team rebuild its roster in today’s collegiate sports world. 

Kent State men’s basketball team has already added three talented players who have committed to play for the Flashes next season. 

The first to commit was Anthony Morales, a 6-foot-8 senior forward/guard from Boston University. Morales played four seasons for the Terriers, where he was on the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll.

He battled through a preseason and midseason injury to average 10.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game. He played in just 17 games but tallied 18 blocks and 16 steals as well. Morales will bring a long and athletic wing combo to the Flashes next season.

After losing three guards to the transfer portal, Kent State needed to fill that position. Cian Medley, a 5-foot-11 freshman guard from Saint Louis University, also committed to the Flashes.

Medley played in 33 games and started in 19 in his freshman campaign. He averaged 4.3 points and 3.9 assists per game while also recording 31 steals on the season. Medley recorded season highs of 14 points against George Washington and 10 assists against Saint Bonaventure.

The final commit for the Flashes is Marquis Barnett, a 6-foot-4 junior guard from Presbyterian College in South Carolina. He earned All-Freshman team honors in the 2021-2022 season and averaged 14.5 points per game in his latest season.

Barnett was also second on the team in rebounds, with 4.5 per game. Barnett is returning to Ohio, as he played locally at Brunswick High School.

Matt Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].