Professor showcases international student experiences in panel discussion

A+domestic+students+asked+questions+and+international+students+shared+their+experiences+during+the+Intercultural+Communication+class+
Yui Kaichi
A domestic students asked questions and international students shared their experiences during the Intercultural Communication class

Ikram Toumi, an associate professor in the School of Communication Studies from Tunisia, brought international students together to share their experiences at a panel discussion in her Intercultural Communication class at Taylor Hall Wednesday.

Intercultural Communication deals with the relevance of difference that is approached both as a threat and as a resource, according to the Office of Global Education website. 

“I was a little anxious before, but it was an amazing experience,” said Ana Julia Cechin Facco, a junior in public relations and advertising major from Brazil. “Everyone was respectful, and wanted to ask questions and learn about where we are from.”

Toumi has organized panel discussions since spring 2018. 

“I bring international students to a panel discussion on purpose because sometimes I feel they are individuals on campus,” she said. 

There were four international students from Brazil, Egypt, India and Rwanda participating in the panel discussion, and they shared their experiences in the U.S.

“I love talking about my country, and I want to share my culture with everyone who is willing to learn a little about it,” said Facco. 

In the Intercultural Communication class, students learn to communicate with people from other cultures and have an identity that is different from their own such as gender, nationality, age, sexuality and religion, Toumi said.

“I want students to learn why it takes for people to adapt to new cultures such as culture shock, differences, transportation system, food – and the major difference is educational system,” she said. 

Students who attended the event asked questions regarding cultural transition, food, misconceptions in the U.S., stereotypes, education system, gun control and the election system, among others.

“I came to the U.S. with a lot of Brazilian friends, so I know a lot of Brazilian people, but at the same time, I do not have a lot of American friends,” Facco said.

Other international students shared their challenges here. The language barrier experience, the anxiety of gun society, cultural differences and transportation problems were mentioned.

“I want students to take a moment to think of what my students can do to help cross cultural bridges to other international students to create community,” Toumi said. “I want students to understand that these students who struggle to connect with American students exist on campus.” 

International students are facing a lot of challenges to make connections with American students as well as to learn their cultures, Toumi said.

“I want domestic students to be able to understand more about other cultures and be more welcoming to international students,” Facco said. “As well as they were learning our culture from our countries in the panel discussion, we want to learn about domestic students’ culture and immerse in it.” 

Yui Kaichi is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].