Performers are hitting all the right notes with upcoming opera

Performers+sing+in+an+opera+performance+in+2022.+
Performers sing in an opera performance in 2022.

Performers at the Opera Theatre will present “Not/Ordinary: Scenes of Life and Love,” a compilation of opera scenes running in the Wright-Curtis Theatre from Nov. 17 through Nov. 19. 

This event highlights a variety of themes and emotions throughout the chosen compositions. 

Vocal performance graduate student Anna Allman explained what audience members can expect to see on stage.

“Many different operas are being featured,” she said. “There is a bold variety in regards to acting, costumes and time period. There’s different composers behind each scene so  motivations and intentions of characters are portrayed differently in every scene.” 

A wide array of operatic pieces from renowned composers including Mozart, Donizetti and Stephen Sondheim will be performed. 

Sophomore musical theater major Lily Jenkins explained the emotional spectrum within opera. 

“Opera is basically storytelling,” she said. “It’s dramatic and musical at the same time. It can be funny and then serious.” 

The opera theater is committed to shaping its students into skilled vocalists with each production with the upcoming event having a cast of around 20 students.  

“The opera program is focused on helping an artist learn different acting techniques,” Allman said. “We are able to explore more artistic interpretation in our performances.” 

“My favorite part about being involved with the opera is the people,” Jenkins said. “I get to work with people that I don’t see on a daily basis and we all have the same passion.” 

Some scenes are solos and others incorporate the entire cast. 

“The finale is my favorite scene,” Jenkins said. “It’s an alluring ensemble piece called ‘Sunday’ from the opera ‘Sunday in the Park with George.’ Everyone sings together and it’s really gorgeous.” 

Opera is a challenging yet intriguing art that the performers want to share with everyone. 

“A lot of people don’t understand opera,” Allman said. “It’s a very complex art form, I would love for people to come and watch, become more educated and see how it has evolved.” 

The singers have been rehearsing multiple times a week in order to create a seamless performance. 

“Operas tell interesting stories with beautiful music,” Jenkins said. “This  show is a little escape where you get to see these fun scenes happen and just enjoy the moment.”      

The opera will be performed on Nov. 17 and 18 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 19 at 3:00 p.m. in the Wright-Curtis Theatre. Tickets can be purchased through the university’s online ticket system. Adults cost $12 and children under 18 years old are free. Full-time undergraduate students at the Kent campus can use their Arts Pass for free admission.   

Abigail Kinney is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].