Students plan to relax, eat this Thanksgiving break

KentWired illustration by Cari Stonis

Thanksgiving break officially starts Nov. 22, and students say they plan to use the three day break to decompress before finals, spend time with family and friends and enjoy home cooked meals. 

Jess Hiltbrand, a senior integrated life science major, said she does not have any specific plans for the break, but she wants to use her time to relax, catch up on reading and start studying. 

“We’re at the point where everyone is getting really stressed out about finals,” Hiltbrand said. “It’s nice to have some kind of solid break to get started on studying or decompress to prepare yourself to start studying.” 

Hiltbrand said she plans to spend Thanksgiving day with her mom at the movies and then they will have Thanksgiving dinner on Friday since her brother will be off of work. 

Mia Hammerton, a sophomore marketing major, said she is excited for the abundance of food that will be served at Thanksgiving dinner. 

“My mom makes these really good vegetables,” Hammerton said. “It’s green beans, corn and then she puts mashed crackers on the top. It’s really, really good.” 

Hammerton said she is going to spend Thanksgiving day with family and plans to hangout with her hometown friends during the rest of break.

Alyssa Zetzer, a freshman biology major, said she enjoys Thanksgiving, but is more excited to use the break to kick off the Christmas season. 

“I know it’s early, but I love decorating for Christmas,” Zetzer said. “I love going to look at Christmas lights with hot chocolate. That’s my favorite thing to do over break.” 

Ryan Silvis, a freshman exercise science major, said he is going to use the break time to destress and visit with friends. 

“I think I’m going to a movie with my one friend,” Silvis said. “We like to see movies a lot together so that will be fun.” 

Silvis said he is also looking forward to eating his grandma’s homemade pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. 

“I’m just really excited to go home and see my family,” Zetzer said. “It’s definitely been an experience living by myself for the first time, but having a six-day break at home is going to be really nice.” 

Adrianna Quinlan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].