Men’s basketball survives second-half surge from South Dakota State

Kent+basketball+team+players+celebrate+as+they+pull+further+ahead+of+Fresno+State+during+the+game+on+Nov.+11%2C+2023.+
Matthew Brown
Kent basketball team players celebrate as they pull further ahead of Fresno State during the game on Nov. 11, 2023.

After building a 14-point halftime lead, the Kent State men’s basketball team allowed 46 points in the second half Tuesday against South Dakota State.

KSU held onto its halftime lead, defeating SDSU 82-73.

The Flashes (6-3) opened the game, shooting 50% from the field and converting on eight shots from behind the arc. 

Through the first nine minutes, the game remained within one possession until Kent State went on two double-digit scoring runs going into the break.

KSU recorded 21 rebounds and 13 points off of turnovers throughout the first half. 

At the half, Kent State led 41-27.

The Flashes defense limited the Jackrabbits (4-5) to 33% shooting from the field and was 2-of-14 on 3-pointers. 

SDSU opened the second half on a 16-6 scoring run, cutting the deficit to 47-43 with 11 minutes remaining in the game.

With less than 10 minutes in the game, the Jackrabbits brought the score to 49-47; however, sophomore guard Reggie Bass was fouled on a 3-point attempt, converting on all three free throws.

South Dakota State once again brought the score within one possession with six minutes remaining in the game, making the score 54-51. 

On the next possession, junior guard Jalen Sullinger connected on a shot from behind his arc – SDSU was never able to get the score within five points again.

Kent State had four players score in double figures: redshirt senior guard Giovanni Santiago (19), Sullinger (17), graduate student forward Chirs Payton Jr. (14) and redshirt junior VonCameron Davis (12).

This was the first true road victory for the Flashes after opening the season with three games on neutral courts. 

As a team, the Flashes shot 43.1% from the field and 10-of-27 from behind the arc. 

KSU forced 14 turnovers, scoring 17 points. 

Kent State attempted 24 free throws, converting 22; South Dakota State attempted 19 free throws, converting 13.

Up next

Kent State will return to the M.A.C.C., matching up with Cleveland State on Saturday. 

The Vikings are 6-4 on the season and have currently lost four consecutive games on the road. 

CSU averages 74 points per game and allows 67. 

All-time, the Flashes are 13-5 against the Vikings and have won six consecutive games. 

Tip off is at 2 p.m.

Jacob Shondel is sports editor. Contact him at [email protected].