‘DeStress Fest’ invites students to take a breather amid finals week

Janson McNair

Alongside the library Communications Office, the Student Multimedia Studio (SMS) helped put together a destress event for students Monday, allowing them to take a mental break from the demands of finals week.

The event, titled “DeStress Fest,” featured an array of arts and crafts, board games and therapy dogs to help students find a moment of relaxation.

Hilary Kennedy, the head of the Student Multimedia Studio, said events like this are important because they remind students that there are resources available to help them thrive.

“We want to remind students that we’re here for them to help in their studies and preparation, but also that we’re here to remind them to take a break,” she said.

The event has been a hit with students, Kennedy said, and she’s glad the SMS has been able to help make it happen.

“We love to be here for our students in every way we can,” she said.

The therapy dogs in particular amassed a considerable crowd, as many students were seen greeting the dogs and their owners at the event.

Hudson the golden retriever greeting students at the DeStress Fest Dec. 11, 2023. Hudson is a Kent State alum who received his Ph.D in Barkology and loves jet skiing in the summertime. (Janson McNair)

LuAnn Rogers, one of the dog owners at the event, said she’s been participating in destress events like these for years. She attended the ‘“DeStress Fest” alongside her dog Rio, and she keeps coming back because of the positive reactions they receive from students.

“We get a lot of feedback from the students saying how much it means to them, partly for stress relief and partly from missing their dogs at home,” she said.

Rogers belongs to an organization called Wags for Wellness, and she said these events are a great way for her to help the community.

“My dogs love it, so it’s just a nice way to give back,” she said.

Davonte Littleton, a senior computer science student, said the event helped him to relax amid the stress from his course load.

“I think everyone could use a second to breathe,” he said. “It can be very overwhelming to be in the finals week where you’re having back to back tests, so I think it’s important to have something like this to help the students on campus.”

Kennedy said events like these are integral to the work she does at the SMS, and she thinks that all students can benefit from participating in them.

“It’s trying to be a comfortable place for students to study but also a great place to take a break as well,” she said.

The DeStress Fest will return to the library Tuesday, Dec. 12, from 1-3 p.m.

Janson McNair is photo assistant. Contact him at [email protected].