Back in the win column: Women’s basketball pushes past Akron

Cadie Pierce
Redshirt sophomore guard Kaley Perkins rings the Starner Victory Bell, with graduate student guard Abby Ogle and the team cheering her on, after following the Golden Flashes’ 109-31 win over LaRoche on Dec. 30, 2023. Perkins, a transfer from Oklahoma, netted her season high in minutes, rebounds, blocks and made field goals in the game and was selected by the team to ring the bell.

The Kent State women’s basketball team came out on top with a 69-60 victory on Saturday despite Akron taking a 19-10 lead after the opening 14 minutes.

“It’s always tough to play over here. It doesn’t matter what the records are, who the coaches are, what the situation is,” coach Todd Starkey said. “I think they did a really good job of coming out in energy.” 

The Flashes (11-5, 5-1) had their first Mid-American Conference loss of the season on Wednesday against Toledo.

On Saturday, the Flashes started slowly but quickly picked up the pace offensively. 

“We were trying to get our footing after some of the things that happened against Toledo,” Starkey said. “There was a little bit of carryover there, and I think once that got worked out in the first quarter from then on, I thought we did a really good job.”

Junior forward Jenna Batsch was the leading scorer with 18 points.

“In the first quarter, I got kind of an early foul trouble, and I felt like when I came back, I had to do something to kind of makeup, and we needed a spark coming in.”

Last season, Batsch averaged of 3.1 points a game; this season, she has scored in double figures in 11 games. 

“She just continues to grow as a player. And now, she and Katie keep flip-flopping for leading the team in scoring,” Starkey said. “I am really proud of her improvement, and I just want to continue to see her stay in that lane.”

Redshirt senior Katie Shumate continues to be another key element for the team. She scored 14 points against the Zips (6-10, 1-5). 

“It’s almost like Katie handed it to Jenna, and Jenna ran with it. So, she ran her lap, came back around, and gave the baton back off to Katie at the end to finish the game,” Starkey said. “We have two players, and you can take one away, but the other one’s gonna step up.”

In this game, a key aspect of Kent’s defense was junior Bridget Dunn. She was able to hold Akron’s First-Team All-MAC player, Reagan Bass.

“Bridget Dunn had a heck of a defensive game. I mean, she really played well. To hold a player like [Reagan] Bass to 15 and six at home is no small task,” Starkey said. “I am really proud of Bridget’s defensive effort. She really did a good job of crowding her.” 

Up next, the Flashes play Eastern Michigan at home on Wednesday. 

These teams last played each other in February, where Kent won 75-67. 

Eastern Michigan is 5-11 overall this season and 2-4 in the Mid-American Conference. It has lost four of its last five games. 

“We need to get some rest first and then start preparing for a much improved Eastern Michigan team,” Starkey said. “Continue to stay focused on what’s right in front of us.”

Emily Lowen is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].