Staff, students share winter break recaps, New Year’s resolutions

Matthew Brown
Kent State students walk through heavy snowfall as they make their way along the Esplanade.

As 2023 draws to an end and the spring 2024 semester commences, Kent State students and staff recall how they spent their winter break and what they look forward to in the new year.

Many went home to enjoy their break, spending time catching up with hometown friends and family.

“I went back to my hometown, Yellow Springs, and I hung out with some friends from home and my family,” Brenna Peterson said, an ASL interpreting and political science major. “I also have a farm, so I took care of my animals.”

Dr. Rekha Sharma, associate professor in the School of Communication Studies, mentored students while she enjoyed family time at home. “I thought traveling might be difficult, so I wanted to keep it simple,” she said.

While many students and professors were pleased with their staycation, some took the break as an opportunity to explore and travel out of Ohio.

“I love supporting local businesses,” said Stephanie Smith, assistant professor in the School of Media and Journalism and the School of Communication Studies. “I found some really cool local businesses over break and one of those was a place called Vintage Candy in Girard, Ohio.”

Sophomore business marketing major Emma Ellis had the chance to travel outside of Ohio. “I went to Pittsburgh, Cleveland and central Pennsylvania,” Ellis said. “It was really fun.”

Traditionally, the new year is brought in with resolutions: promises to yourself to be better.

“Eat less, speak less, be kinder, create joy: those are my four resolutions that I carry with me,” Smith said.

The top three New Year’s resolutions for 2024, according to a new survey by Forbes Health magazine, are to improve fitness, finances and mental health.

“I want to have better boundaries with people, get out more and be my own best friend in the new year,” Peterson said.

Professors are excited about the spring semester; “everyone seems very optimistic and goal-oriented and I think starting out with that energy level is really good,” Sharma said. “It makes me hopeful that we are going to do some really fun, creative things.”

A new semester brings in new students and is a chance for those on campus to reconnect, meet new people and take advantage of the university’s opportunities.

“I just became president of Pi Sigma Epsilon business fraternity, so I am looking forward to that this semester,” Jana Stone said, a junior communication studies major.

Professors are gearing up for the first week of classes and for a busy semester ahead, but looking forward to connecting with their students.

“I most look forward to reconnecting with students I know and meeting new students this spring, that’s the whole thing for me,” Smith said.

As Kent State welcomes back returning students, the spring semester is a new beginning for incoming students.

“I just transferred here, I’m going around and introducing myself, so I hope I can make a lot of friends while I’m here,” Ellis said.

Lauren Bischof is a beat reporter. Contact her at [email protected].