Beatles’ hits of ‘Yesterday’ will be back for annual BeatleFest

Annemarie Karabinus
Frank Muratore, from the cover band Hard Day’s Night’s, performs as Paul McCartney at the Kent Stage for the ninth annual Beatle Fest Feb 17, 2023.

Whether they’re jumping to “Shout,” slow dancing to “And I Love Her” or singing along to “Here Comes the Sun,” Beatles fans and beyond can listen live to the hits of John, Paul, George and Ringo at the 10th annual BeatleFest in downtown Kent Feb. 23.  

“We’ve got some killer acts playing,” said Bob Burford, spokesperson for Crooked River Arts Council, a non-profit that promotes and organizes four yearly music festivals in Kent. “I think we always do, but we have some real destination acts. It’s got a reputation of being a lot of fun.”

Running throughout downtown, the fest will feature twenty bands and artists performing Beatles hits at various stops, including Zephyr Pub, Ray’s Place and North Water Brewing Co. The night’s first band, Hey Money, will kick off at 5 p.m. at North Water Brewing Co. at 101 Crain Ave. 

Attendees can hear classic Beatles cover songs along with twists on the originals with folk, instrumental and doo-wop renditions, among others. The full lineup is listed on the event’s website

“The beauty of this festival is you can walk from venue to venue, and some of them are really close,” Burford said. “Some of the acts are continuous too.”

Aside from food or beverage purchases, BeatleFest is free for the community through the support of patrons and sponsors, Burford said. The self-proclaimed Beatles fanatic, who originally proposed the festival’s idea, estimated the event brings in around 1,500 people every year – and the turnout has been consistent for nearly a decade.  

“We’re thrilled with the response,” Burford said. “The venues are happy they get people through their door. I think people like the ability to walk into one place, and if you’d like it, you stay half an hour or an hour. If you don’t like it, you can listen to one song and then walk to the next venue in like three minutes.” 

The Beatles’ “timeless music” brings in audiences of all ages, according to Burford. 

“I’ve seen it where parents are with their kids and they get really hooked,” he said. “You see young people with Beatles T-shirts, and it’s really encouraging to see that happening. The Beatles’ music has and will always have a reputation for drawing audiences of all kinds.”

Isabella Schreck is editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected].