Taking it to the house: Fans opt to stay in for Super Bowl Sunday

Cadie Pierce
Ray’s Place in downtown Kent bustles with business on the evening of Feb. 3, 2024.

With a Super Bowl matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers just three days away, sports fans are preparing themselves for the occasion – whether it’s perfecting their game-day menu, budgeting for their betting or planning their watch parties.

But for some local businesses, it’s just another day.

Charlie Thomas, one of the managers at Ray’s Place in downtown Kent, said although a large turnout might be expected, most of the orders they receive on Super Bowl Sunday are for takeout.

“Back in the day, I used to advertise beer specials, but [fans] don’t go to the bars that much anymore,” he said. 

Thomas said Super Bowl Sunday is about as busy as any other football game day at Ray’s Place, which is located at 135 Franklin Ave., as most sports fans end up staying home to watch the game. This leaves business at the bar steady and predictable.

“I don’t know if it’s just the game,” he said. “We do really well on Sundays, per se, so [customers] know they can come here and have good food and drink and we got plenty of TVs to watch before the game and during the game.”

There’s not a whole lot of challenges to being open on game day, Thomas said, aside from workers not being able to give the game their full attention while on shift.

“I’m sure everyone likes to watch it, but we’re still open until our regular time [12 a.m.],” Thomas said.

Takeout orders for Ray’s Place can be made by calling (330)-673-2233.

This scenario will likely also be the case at Mike’s Place, said Cody Kostensky, one of the restaurant’s managers. He said employees will likely be glued to their phones keeping up with the matchup, but that is to be expected.

“We close at nine, so [workers] can easily get home and watch the game, but a lot of people are just walking around watching the game, and I don’t blame them. Everyone wants to see it,” Kostensky said.

Kostensky said the selling point for business going into game day is the convenience, and Mike’s Place is gearing their wing and pizza specials to align with the expected takeout business.

Mike’s Place will receive takeout orders via phone at (330)-673-6501.

“People just pick it up and take it home, and they’re ready to go,” he said. “They don’t have to be kicking themselves, and it’s a lot easier for us to get 50 wings than for someone to go to the grocery store and do all that.”

Both managers said they are looking forward to the big game, as they are both avid football fans. Thomas said he’ll be rooting for Kansas City amid the Detroit Lions’ loss in the NFC Championship Jan. 28. 

Kostensky, though he is unsure if the team can prevail, said he hopes the 49ers can find a way to win.

“Patrick Mahomes in the playoffs is a serious guy,” Kostensky said.

Janson McNair is campus editor. Contact him at [email protected].