Men’s basketball drops fourth consecutive home game

Matthew Brown
Redshirt sophomore Julius Rollins and freshman Jalen Sullinger high-five after a play during the game against Miami University on Jan. 30, 2024.

Kent State men’s basketball team has not allowed Miami (OH) to win inside the M.A.C. Center since 2014.  

The six-game home winning streak ended Tuesday when the RedHawks defeated KSU 71-67.

“We [need to] play better for 40 minutes, second half, we did a lot better,” coach Rob Senderoff said. “It’s not a lack of effort; hopefully, we’ll respond the way we need to.”

The Flashes (10-11, 3-6) came out of the gates struggling as they could not get anything going in the paint.

Redshirt sophomore Julius Rollins dunks the ball during the game against Miami University on Jan. 30, 2024. (Matthew Brown)

The RedHawks (11-10, 5-4) outscored Kent State 22-0 in the paint in the first half, while the Flashes shot 0-of-8 on two-point field goals. 

“Have to give credit to them for playing good defense and being in gaps. It forced us to take a lot of perimeter shots,” redshirt junior Voncameron Davis said. 

Davis scored ten points along with six rebounds in the contest.

Despite not making a two-point shot, the Flashes used six three-pointers along with free throws to trail 39-24 at halftime.

“It’s hard playing from behind every single time ’cause we have to be perfect,” senior guard Giovanni Santiago said. “We just have to play better and be ready to play at tip off.”

Kent State continued to battle in the second half and scored their first two-pointer when junior guard Jalen Sullinger hit a floater with 16 minutes remaining.

Freshman Jalen Sullinger weaves between Miami University players as he pushes towards the net on Jan. 30, 2024. (Matthew Brown)

The Flashes hung around in half before Santiago hit back-to-back three-pointers to cut the deficit to 54-49 with seven minutes remaining.

Santiago scored 12 points, including three three-pointers.

Kent State came as close as 61-58 with 2:24 remaining after a Sullinger and-one until; however, Miami would seal its win by making eight free throws down the stretch.

Next up, the Flashes will travel to Buffalo for another conference matchup on Friday at 6:30 p.m.

“Disappointed in where we are certainly, and we just need to keep working to get better,” Senderoff said. “You’re not going to flip your record in one game, so we just have to focus in and try to win the next game.”

Matt Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].