No record safe: Track and field sees six athletes break personal, school records

Sara House
Sophomore Zane Cattage competes in the high jump during the track and field meet against Akron Jan. 19, 2024.

Kent State’s track and field team attended two meets on the road beginning Feb. 2. First attending the Akron Invitational, they then went to the two-day Meyo Invitational in South Bend, Indiana. 

Coach Nathan Fanger named six individuals to highlight their efforts. 

Men’s team

Kristian Kneffler 

At the Meyo Invitational, senior Kristian Kneffler broke Kent State track and field’s school record after clearing 17’-6.50” in the men’s pole vault, placing fifth. 

After the accomplishment, the bar was raised to 18’-0.50, which would send him to the NCAA Championships, but he was unable to do so. Fanger said Kneffler was the biggest “standout” of the weekend.

Layne Studer 

Freshman Layne Studer also had a successful time with the pole vault event, setting a new personal best personal-best with a height of 16’-6.75” to place sixth.

“Studer did a really good job as a freshman; he had a really good PR,” Fanger said. This puts Studer in a tie for ninth on Kent State’s all-time indoor performance list. 

Ethan Yost 

Senior Ethan Yost also had a top-10 performance at the Meyo Invitational. 

Yost ran a time of 4:03.25 in the Meyo mile for eighth place. Only three other Kent State Flashes have run faster than Yost’s time.

Women’s team 

Grace Luther 

Graduate student Grace Luther won the women’s weight throw at the Meyo Invitational. 

“She won the open weight throw at Notre Dame, and she went sixth all-time on Kent State’s list,” Fanger said. 

Before her final throw, she had already secured first place. On her final throw, she threw a 63’-9”. 

Karsyn Spears

Sophomore Karsyn Spears placed second in the 800-meter run. 

She ran a season-best time of 2:10.73. “She’s ranked fourth in the conference,” said Fanger. 

Grace Adegoke

Sophomore Grace Adegoke placed second in the women’s high jump with a height of 5’-7.75”. 

“She did an awesome job in the high jump over at Akron,” Fanger said. Adegoke is now in a tie for eighth in Kent State history for the high jump. 

Up Next

Moving forward, the Flashes have another weekend of back-to-back meets. 

They will attend the Tyson Invitational from Feb. 9-10 and the SPIRE Indoor Games on Feb. 10. 

Robyn Taylor is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]