Active Minds encourages recruitment, participation following first no-show event

Kayleigh Shafer
A self-love motto from the Active Minds event.

Active Minds, an organization that recruits members every semester, is urging students to join and participate following a disappointing turnout at their recent event. President Hunter Frey-Burkart stated that they welcome students of all majors to help reduce stigma surrounding mental health. 

The Self-Love event, scheduled for Wednesday at 2:30 pm., saw no attendance. “Last year for this event, we had at least 10 people,” said Frey-Burkart. 

Frey-Burkart has served as president for the past three semesters and expressed disappointment, noting that this year has seen the lowest participation thus far. 

The event was to feature a presentation and group discussion on practicing self-love through affirmations. Additionally, attendees were to create origami squares containing affirmations. 

Frey-Burkart describes his self-love practices as taking small victories. “I like affirmations. Sometimes just taking your own wheel, you have to want to do that for yourself.” said member Bobby McDonald.

“[Self-love] is just to know yourself enough, to know what you need and how to gauge what you need, and letting yourself know it’s okay to take a step back and breathe,” McDonald said. “Self-love is taking your own wheel and spinning it in a positive direction,” added Frey-Burkart. 

He attributed the decrease in participation to members not completing the mandatory anti-hazing training in compliance with Collin’s Law. The changes to the organizational requirements cut his members down almost 80%.

Collin’s Law was enacted following a hazing incident which resulted in the death of Collin Wiant at Ohio University. According to OSU’s website,Collin’s Law: The Ohio Anti-Hazing Act, effective Oct. 7, 2021, makes acts of hazing a second-degree misdemeanor and acts of hazing that include coerced consumption of alcohol or drugs or abuse that result in serious physical harm a felony of the third degree.”

Frey-Burkart said he hopes to collaborate with similar organizations on campus to enhance engagement. Despite being relatively new, Frey-Burkart managed to build his organization from 30 to 70 members over the past two to three years. Unfortunately, this year he hasn’t been able to reach people to join. 

“There is no guidebook to being human. It’s all our first time being human and born not knowing what love is or how to love anyone else, or ourselves. It’s okay to not know how to love yourself,” McDonald said. 

The organization encourages students to join and participate in upcoming events, the next event is scheduled for Feb. 21 and will include VAR training. VAR training stands for validate, appreciate and refer. The website lists that the training will provide a guide for better listening and responding in active conversations with others. 

Kayleigh Shafer is a reporter. You can contact her at [email protected].