Hobby to hustle: Woman-owned business thrives in downtown

Amy+Mucha+stands+in+the+doorway+of+her+shop%2C+Daisy+Pops%2C+with+her+favorite+cake+pop%2C+Fruity+Pebbles.+Mucha+retired+from+teaching+in+2021+from+Cuyahoga+Valley+Christian+Academy+to+open+her+shop+less+than+a+year+ago.++
Cadie Pierce
Amy Mucha stands in the doorway of her shop, Daisy Pops, with her favorite cake pop, Fruity Pebbles. Mucha retired from teaching in 2021 from Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy to open her shop less than a year ago.

From teaching to baking, the change of career and heart for one Kent woman drives her new passion.

Amy Mucha is the owner of Daisy Pops, a cake pop bakery, which opened downtown in April of last year. What started as a hobby and turned into a side-hustle is now Mucha’s career and passion.

“I want cake pops to bring joy to other people, but also it was bringing me joy as well,” Mucha said. 

Mucha was teaching full-time when she started making money from selling cake pops. Her favorite part about teaching was building relationships with students. After retiring, she found a similar experience through her business. 

The most rewarding part for her has been connecting with customers and other business owners. 

“Customers are my favorite part of the business. It’s so fun to actually develop relationships with these people, who I would not have in my life without cake pops,” Mucha said. 

She recognizes a lot of regular customers, who have supported her business from the start. 

“A lot of them from the very beginning are some of the OG pop pals, cheering us on,” Mucha said. “They still come in and support us and that’s been really, really sweet, pun intended.” 

While she loves what she does, Mucha said she has experienced the weight of owning a business independently, but has a great support system around her. 

“I’m a sole owner, I don’t have a partner, so it’s just me,” Mucha said. “I’m really grateful to have a great team of pop artists that I can ask questions to, and they’ll help me think through things, as well as my husband.”

Daisy Pops owner Amy Mucha converses with a customer looking to buy cake pops at their storefront on North Water Street. (Cadie Pierce)

Along with her family and team, Mucha has made connections with other experienced business owners that she can go to for advice. 

“Other business owners have been so great, like the owners from Bent Tree,” Mucha said. “I have asked them so many questions and they have been so gracious.” 

She also said the support from her female friendships, both professional and personal, have been inspiring.

“Also having your girl gang, both having your business friends who are also women and then your friends,” Mucha said.

With the increase of women-owned businesses, Mucha said there are resources available for women who are interested in starting a business. 

“I feel like it works in my favor, being a woman, honestly, because people are so conscientious of that,” Mucha said. “There’s a lot of support out there for women who are business owners.” 

Mucha said women should pursue what they are passionate about, but only to do so if it makes sense. 

“A big part of it is doing what you love … finding your passion and following it, but not in a dumb way,” Mucha said. “You have to be smart about it, don’t just quit everything,” 

Daisy Pops is located at 154 N. Water St., open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. 

“We love students coming by. We’re here, we’re ready for you to pop in,” Mucha said. 

Savana Capp is Print Planner. Contact her at [email protected].